Emys orbicularis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
In my experience so far, these guy s have been slow growers. They are part of my plans to work with cold tolerant species, as far as water turtles go. I keep these, Emydoidea blandingii, Actinemys marmorata, and Clemmys guttata as the four parts of that project. So far the Spotteds have grown the fasted by far.

These European Ponds came from Robert and Trish, who if you don't know them are great breeders out of Florida. The founders of their group were Russian imports from the late '90s.

I really enjoy watching these guys. And like A. marmorata and E. blandingii, it can be a treat to spot one sometimes, because they do a TON of hiding. A lot of scientific studies are very short of hatchling and juvenile data, since these species do so much hiding in there first few years.

Hope you like!

Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 35

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I like this species, having observed 50+ adults and around a dozen or so hatchlings in the wild, along with Caspian pond turtles that occupy the same habitats.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Very nice! One of my favorite water turtle species.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
They really are great, and probably under-represented in collections over here in the States. Thanks for the kind words guys.

I enjoy reading about Mauremys caspica, Boah, but I have never worked with them. I can see myself trying to breed them, because they are even more under-represented here, and definately more attractive than people give them credit for. For now however, they don't fit the plans just yet!

Thanks again guys..

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Anthony P said:
They really are great, and probably under-represented in collections over here in the States. Thanks for the kind words guys.

I enjoy reading about Mauremys caspica, Boah, but I have never worked with them. I can see myself trying to breed them, because they are even more under-represented here, and definately more attractive than people give them credit for. For now however, they don't fit the plans just yet!

Thanks again guys..

That'd be another good one to add, partner! Txxonomy with them is, no surprise, in fluctuation. Recently, one of the subspecies was merged back into caspica.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Yeah, I think the weather of the original locality of the founder animals would be extremely important, since Mauremys is such a mess and caspica has such a wide range..

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Anthony P said:

Thanks again guys..

Caspica are awesome! The babies are so cool, you will love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.