Enclosed chamber?

Jdlewellen

Location (City and/or State)
McKinney TX
We are getting a hatchling sulcata and I've tried to read everything on this forum about them but just want to make sure we have what it needs.

7'x3' closet with greenhouse plastic over the top to hold in the humidity. I'm an organic veg farmer so I was going to put some of my soil in there if you think it's ok. It's mostly compost I've made here with my own veg waste and peat moss. And since I'm always pulling weeds I was just hoping to transplant some plaintain, vetch and maybe some nice big Johnson grass. We have the heat lamps but since we're going into summer I was planning on holding off on the uvb lamp. We'll have 2 hides(one humid and one not as humid?) I have a tempstick which monitors humidity and temp with an app on my phone. Am I missing anything?
Pick of the base enclosure.
Thanks!
John

20200412_142706.jpg

nicoleann2214

NY
We are getting a hatchling sulcata and I've tried to read everything on this forum about them but just want to make sure we have what it needs.

7'x3' closet with greenhouse plastic over the top to hold in the humidity. I'm an organic veg farmer so I was going to put some of my soil in there if you think it's ok. It's mostly compost I've made here with my own veg waste and peat moss. And since I'm always pulling weeds I was just hoping to transplant some plaintain, vetch and maybe some nice big Johnson grass. We have the heat lamps but since we're going into summer I was planning on holding off on the uvb lamp. We'll have 2 hides(one humid and one not as humid?) I have a tempstick which monitors humidity and temp with an app on my phone. Am I missing anything?
Pick of the base enclosure.
Thanks!
John
Soil should never be used, along with peat moss. Try cypress mulch, coco choir, oak. If you go too @Tom ’s profile he has many sulcata articles especially for beginners.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome....

lots of great info here for you, esp regarding substrate, humidity, enclosure size, heat, lighting., food.

Jdlewellen

McKinney TX
Ok thanks. I'll have to go back and reread it. I thought it was because you can't know for sure what is in it if you buy it from a big box. I thought it'd be ok since I make my own.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thanks. I'll have to go back and reread it. I thought it was because you can't know for sure what is in it if you buy it from a big box. I thought it'd be ok since I make my own.
Toxicity is a big concern with using store bought soil, but its also messy. Addmittidaly, how messy it is will vary with the composition. You'll need to keep it damp, and that usually gets muddy.

Peat is no good. The long fibered stuff will be eaten and its an impaction hazard. The dirt like stuff will cause their carapace to rot in some cases.

Fine grade orchid bark works the best. I've tried all sorts of stuff, including my own home made soil. I always go back to the orchid bark. Try your soil if you want. If it gets muddy, stains the tortoise's skin, or causes the carapace to rot, you'll know it and you can change later. Since the peat is greatly "diluted", I don't think there is any "danger" in trying your soil, but I think you'll see why orchid bark is better in pretty short order. Or maybe, you'll like it. I just don't want any one looking at your pics or reading your posts to think that since you are using soil, that they can go to the stored buy soil to use too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use soil for my baby box turtles, but they're a whole other bag of tricks. I've never used it with baby tortoises. I think it would be very messy. Since you mix up your own, it might be worth an experiment. And maybe a top layer of small bark to keep the soil underneath moist, and help with the messiness.

Jdlewellen

McKinney TX
I use soil for my baby box turtles, but they're a whole other bag of tricks. I've never used it with baby tortoises. I think it would be very messy. Since you mix up your own, it might be worth an experiment. And maybe a top layer of small bark to keep the soil underneath moist, and help with the messiness.
Thanks! I may try that.