Plastic Tote Enclosed Habitat?

coope213

Location (City and/or State)
Kalamazoo
Hello everyone,

I have a yearling leopard in a plastic tub right now with aluminum foil over the top. This does not keep the humidity up like I want and I was going to upgrade to a 3ft long tub. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make it more enclosed?

I have a strip uvb and che.

Also this is temporary as we are moving to florida in the next month or two so this would just be until we get settled down there. Otherwise I would be making a much bigger upgrade!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've never found a satisfactory way to modify an open toped enclosure. What you are attempting to do there is better than nothing, but as you are seeing, it just doesn't work well. The problem is that your lights are on the outside. This means that most of the heat you are generating just goes up into the room. It also creates a chimney effect that draws the warm humid air up and out of the enclosure, replacing it with cooler drier room air.

The solution is to buy or build a closed chamber with the lights inside instead of on top. Like these: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-stack-of-animal-plastics-closed-chambers.165626/