large plastic tubs....a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I have a couple of box turtles, one of which is quickly outgrowing his current enclosure. So right now I'm looking into what route I want to go. I'm thinking maybe the bookcase thing, though I think large plastic tubs would be better with the high humidity requirements of a gulf coast box turtle. For right now, one 55 gallon rubbermaid tote would be large enough for him as he is only 1.5 years old. But in a couple of years I would need to upgrade yet again. I have seen people talk about using two plastic tubs and connecting them somehow?? Can someone explain this to me, or even show me pics if they have done it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lisa:

Is there a reason why these turtles aren't outside?

You cut off opposite ends of each tub, then just put them together at the cut off end. You can either slip one inside the other, or you can silicone the ends.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, thank you.

I am constructing both indoor and outdoor enclosures. They are 8 months old and 1.5 years old. This will be for the indoor enclosure, which is for cold evenings and bad weather days. In Cleveland, Ohio that is a lot unfortunately.

Another stupid question. What is the best way to cut through these plastic tubs? What do you use?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any kind of saw will work, but to get a nice, smooth cut, use some sort of heat tool. I use a soldering iron...not the right tool for the job, but it works.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't have many fancy tools, but tried a hack saw (plastic vibrated a lot, which was frustrating) and settled on a big pair of tin snips:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...053&langId=-1&keyword=tin+snips&storeId=10051
If you cut a hole, you have to drill an opening hole first.

I have also seen two tubs connected together with a very large piece of PVC as a 'hallway' connected to both tubs. I found the thread! ( Rubbermaid tubs are nice because the have that edge for another small level)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Russian-s-Enclosure#axzz1t7Du72U0

Status
Not open for further replies.