Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Jacqui said:
Tom said:
The sides on the far ends are pretty slanted, reducing the "footprint" of floor space.

That's why we went with the sheep stock tanks. Plus we can either have two small ones on one shelf or one large one. High enough sides nobody can climb out, yet not too deep.

Well why didn't you mention the sheep stock tanks when I first posted this back on March 8th? Jeez!:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Photos of the progress so far. I'm waiting to put in the top tub until I verify that I've got the distance between tubs just right. I'm going to need a step stool to see into the top one as it is. Not happy about that, but I need it high enough to allow some distance from the lower tub for the basking light and the upper tub for heat coming off of the lower basking lamp.
4qk64h.jpg

dfgif5.jpg

bgxo3q.jpg

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Awesome progress. What are you going to keep in them??(dont remember seeing you mention it..)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I could barely build a simple tort table, so how you're doing this is beyond me :p
Very cool!! Nice progress.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Sulcatas, of course!

I ca't believe i asked that...
Stephanie Logan said:
Hard-core tort keepers...my secret fantasy. ;)
ummm....hahahaha. Oh my, steph.

How much for shipping??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dreadyA said:
Awesome progress. What are you going to keep in them??(dont remember seeing you mention it..)

Daisy, my little sulcata, is in one. South African Leopard hatchlings will go in another in another, and, one way or another, I'm going to hatch out some sulcata babies and keep them very humid, from literally day 1, to test out my humidity theories in the third tub. If my eggs aren't fertile (I'm pretty sure they are not), my friend is going to give me some of his eggs to hatch out.

Of course, this leaves Daisy's old enclosure empty now... maybe some pancakes at the next show... maybe some Burmese Blacks, if I can find someone who'll agree to take them when they get big enough to live outside year round...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
Jacqui said:
Tom said:
The sides on the far ends are pretty slanted, reducing the "footprint" of floor space.

That's why we went with the sheep stock tanks. Plus we can either have two small ones on one shelf or one large one. High enough sides nobody can climb out, yet not too deep.

Well why didn't you mention the sheep stock tanks when I first posted this back on March 8th? Jeez!:p

I do on any thread I see dealing with them, but life has been hectic so I don't get much computer time these days...sorry I just never noticed the thread until the other day.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Tom - that's just about exactly how I use my Waterland Tubs. I have a bunch of the small land tubs, but instead of them sitting on a flat platform, I basically wrapped 2x4s around them just under the lip, so they're being held up by the top edge and put the verticals in just like you have them. I have them stacked 4 high, with the top one high enough that I need a step stool to get in there (it's always used for the lower-maintenance tortoises). It's probably at about 7 feet to the top edge of it. They lift right out, and the whole rack is on wheels, so I mounted all the lights to the wall behind it, then can pull the whole rack out and the individual tubs lift right out without having to move the lights. I'm all about automation, and to me, anything indoors is a lot of work, but this system seemed to work the best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TylerStewart said:
Tom - that's just about exactly how I use my Waterland Tubs. I have a bunch of the small land tubs, but instead of them sitting on a flat platform, I basically wrapped 2x4s around them just under the lip, so they're being held up by the top edge and put the verticals in just like you have them. I have them stacked 4 high, with the top one high enough that I need a step stool to get in there (it's always used for the lower-maintenance tortoises). It's probably at about 7 feet to the top edge of it. They lift right out, and the whole rack is on wheels, so I mounted all the lights to the wall behind it, then can pull the whole rack out and the individual tubs lift right out without having to move the lights. I'm all about automation, and to me, anything indoors is a lot of work, but this system seemed to work the best.

I almost got the Waterland tubs instead, but these were much cheaper and suited my purposes just fine. The Waterland tubs are a little bigger and probably lighter too.

spikethebest said:
that looks so awesome! you know you will have to build one for me right? :p lol jk

I'd love to HELP YOU build one. They have to be built in place as they wont fit through any door ways.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Tom said:
I'd love to HELP YOU build one. They have to be built in place as they wont fit through any door ways.

So how will you evacuate the tortoises in an emergency? Dump them on the floor and tell them to run?

I hope you have a plan...;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stephanie Logan said:
Tom said:

So how will you evacuate the tortoises in an emergency? Dump them on the floor and tell them to run?

I hope you have a plan...;)

Did you forget I'm a trainer?! I'll simply hold open a large back pack and tell them all "JUMP!". Then I'll just pack 'em out on my back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Construction is all done. Daisy is already moved in on the bottom floor. Now I just have to set up the other two tubs and get something to put in them.

259zu5j.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Sharp.

I hope you're planning on painting some nice murals on the side for them. :cool:

I am sure they will love residing in their exclusive, gated high-rise. ;)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
These tubs are GREAT...the 45 degree angle may reduce the footprint but will drastically reduce (if not eliminate) any chance of flipping torts...they climb...they slide back down...EXCELLENT!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DeanS said:
These tubs are GREAT...the 45 degree angle may reduce the footprint but will drastically reduce (if not eliminate) any chance of flipping torts...they climb...they slide back down...EXCELLENT!

In hindsight, I'd have to say that I wish I'd gone with the more expensive, larger Waterland Tubs or Vision Tubs. I do want the larger footprint and I'm not 100% sure yet that a smaller, lighter turtle or tortoise couldn't climb out because of that slope. Daisy can't get out at all, but...

These were half the price, but if an animal climbs out, it will not have been worth it. I'm got half the tub covered (for humidity AND escape prevention) and I'm working on corner covers for the side with the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.