Where to find hides?

MNGuy

Location (City and/or State)
Minneapolis, MN
I'm preparing to adopt a Russian or Hermann's tortoise one day and have been looking around at supplies, and can't find any opaque plastic tubs to use as hides. I've looked at Home Depot, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Walgreens, Target and Fleet Farm. All I can find are clear totes or very heavy duty, thick plastic round buckets.

I'm just looking for small square or rectangle tubs that are pliable enough to cut with scissors. I do not have anything like that myself at home from old food containers, etc. I don't eat dairy so I don't buy the big gallon tubs of ice cream.

Where do you find your hides? I'm wondering if I have to resort to buying them from reptile-specialty stores/websites.

Thank you.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm preparing to adopt a Russian or Hermann's tortoise one day and have been looking around at supplies, and can't find any opaque plastic tubs to use as hides. I've looked at Home Depot, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Walgreens, Target and Fleet Farm. All I can find are clear totes or very heavy duty, thick plastic round buckets.

I'm just looking for small square or rectangle tubs that are pliable enough to cut with scissors. I do not have anything like that myself at home from old food containers, etc. I don't eat dairy so I don't buy the big gallon tubs of ice cream.

Where do you find your hides? I'm wondering if I have to resort to buying them from reptile-specialty stores/websites.

Thank you.
Walmart usually has small black or white totes that work great.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you! Good to know. I'll give it a shot.
Old thread but I still use this one

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Walmart has these

Attachments

• 56759523-6C57-4DEA-8913-2391F52CB15F.png
    56759523-6C57-4DEA-8913-2391F52CB15F.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 16

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If you find one that is too deep, you can cut it. I used a dremel and just made the tub shorter. A dremel also makes cutting the door hole easier.

If you don't have one, treat yourself to a Christmas present. Every home needs at least one dremel...I have two! :) ?

Mindi0629

Grand Junction CO

Thank you.
I found this, and he LOVES it! He will push it around his enclosure all day long! Upside down Kleenex box. He was outgrowing hides every two weeks!

Attachments

• D5B3B95A-BB22-4B82-A83E-04DD74BC6392.jpeg
    D5B3B95A-BB22-4B82-A83E-04DD74BC6392.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 44CC619F-749C-4D41-8E56-6134A4E30A59.jpeg
    44CC619F-749C-4D41-8E56-6134A4E30A59.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I've used a recycling bin turned upside down, dish washing bins that you can cut with scissors, and the tops of cat litter boxes that already have a space on them for the tortoise to enter.

I have also used cork boards tilted at an angle against the wall for a makeshift hide that she seems to love. There are really big ones like 18x24 you can find https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019J6GCC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I found this, and he LOVES it! He will push it around his enclosure all day long! Upside down Kleenex box. He was outgrowing hides every two weeks!
We used the same thing and Snoopy destroyed them about every two months ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thank you.
I use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. $1.82.

IMG_4823 copy.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your substrate were damp, as it should be, you'd see that cardboard won't hold up.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
If your substrate were damp, as it should be, you'd see that cardboard won't hold up.
Yep, between that and getting trampled they didn’t last very long. Thank goodness for a snotty kid, tissue boxes are never in short supply! But we did eventually move to a plastic box. ?

Reactions: Tom

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY