Unusual Humid Hide Ideas?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I'm perpetually keeping my eyes peeled for opaque plastic containers to turn into humid hides. My tortoise hated the clear plastic tub design. She refused to even go inside once. But she loves one that i made out of a large coffee container. I think its ugly and looks like garbage!
20170827_201033.jpg
Anyone have pics of successful humid hides that they have experimented with ?
I was looking at some plastic hides made for small mammels. But I really want something opaque for Artemis to hide in.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't know if this is what you're looking for or not, but my Hermann's tortoise WOULD.NOT. use ANY hides I bought or made for her. Until one day I was visiting a friend who has big palm trees in her yard. Several of the "boots" of the palm fronds had peeled away and fallen off, as they typically do. It looked like it would make a good cave for an animal to hide in, so she gave me some to take home. COWABUNGA!!!!!!! :D:D:D My tort LOOOVES palm tree boots!!!
They are the ONLY hide she will use. It seems like you could make sure the substrate underneath is good and damp, or maybe put damp sphagnum moss in it...I don't know. But if you know someone who has palm trees (and they don't spray chemicals on their trees) it's a free hide for a tort! Since my Elsa has grown so much she needs pretty large "boots"' now, I sometimes have to saw off the long tapered end or else it wouldn't fit in her indoor enclosure :p

OOPS: I just saw that you are located in Oregon. I doubt you have palm trees there. Sorry! :(

IMG_5320.JPG

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So I'm perpetually keeping my eyes peeled for opaque plastic containers to turn into humid hides. My tortoise hated the clear plastic tub design. She refused to even go inside once. But she loves one that i made out of a large coffee container. I think its ugly and looks like garbage!
View attachment 216930
Anyone have pics of successful humid hides that they have experimented with ?
I was looking at some plastic hides made for small mammels. But I really want something opaque for Artemis to hide in.
Since your tort loves that hide so much, I wonder if you could glue or hot-glue natural looking things to the outside, like sticks or bark or natural stuff that looks more pleasing?

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
let me solve your dillemma easily:) lol:) it does not really matter what you make it out of as long as it breathes, it is dark and it is cozy inside:) take any kind of container of the right size, may it be a plastic drawer or whatever large jar or even old wooden box. make an opening times and a half the size of the tortoise. inside you will need dirt of choice(sand whatever your baby loves), some leaves or dried grasses, turn the box over creating a home inside and here it the best part: put dirt on top mixed with some clay and bits of organic matter like grasses and leaves. you want to make that into a sort of mix and use your best masonry skills to cover that box all the way around like a mound. you can plant a clump of grass on top or seeds that will grow into it. it you make it not steep - your pet will also climb on top for observation. watering it as yo would the enclosure will keep the hide cool and moist:) or if it is hard to make a mound - just put a chunk of dirt and a clump of grass on top, even if dry - it is still cooling, eye pleasing and naturalish:) put a ramp on it, my torts are freaken climbers! and cliff hangers :) what breed is your tortoise anyway?

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
I don't know if this is what you're looking for or not, but my Hermann's tortoise WOULD.NOT. use ANY hides I bought or made for her. Until one day I was visiting a friend who has big palm trees in her yard. Several of the "boots" of the palm fronds had peeled away and fallen off, as they typically do. It looked like it would make a good cave for an animal to hide in, so she gave me some to take home. COWABUNGA!!!!!!! :D:D:D My tort LOOOVES palm tree boots!!!
They are the ONLY hide she will use. It seems like you could make sure the substrate underneath is good and damp, or maybe put damp sphagnum moss in it...I don't know. But if you know someone who has palm trees (and they don't spray chemicals on their trees) it's a free hide for a tort! Since my Elsa has grown so much she needs pretty large "boots"' now, I sometimes have to saw off the long tapered end or else it wouldn't fit in her indoor enclosure :p

OOPS: I just saw that you are located in Oregon. I doubt you have palm trees there. Sorry! :(

View attachment 216938
yup, lots of those here too, they are great for russians:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I had a young leopard tortoise in a tort table, I used a piece of PVC, I think it was about 10" diameter. I cut a length about 15" long and then cut it in half lengthwise. I placed it in the tort table then loosely packed moistened sphagnum moss inside. At first I had to keep putting the young tortoise inside, but it eventually got the idea and started using it on its own.

Ben Awes 01-12-14 a.jpg

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)

Destben

Kansas
IMG_6429.jpg

IMG_6459.jpg

Right now I’m trying this out and it seems to work well and she loves it a lot. I was using a half log but she out grew it so I got this and filled it with moss. She can’t climb it which is a plus.