Humidity hide

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi, I've created humid hides for my tortoises, I've added sphagnum moss, a dark plastic container with a hole in it. I put it on the warm end but it seems to drop down to 28 degrees in the box. I've heard torts can get breathing problems for being in cold and damp environments. Any ideas on how to make it warmer would be much appreciated .

Ben

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Where is the humid hide placed in the enclosure? Mine are all kept near the basking area to get heat from the lamp, and at night I have a CHE over them. Temp always stays above 80 degrees Fahrenheit in each of them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's why I stopped using a humid hide. I couldn't figure out how to get it warmer inside.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Yep mine are kept near the light but the moss always feels cold even when I pour warm water over them and that can't be good for torts

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Are you using any type of thermometer and hygrometer to measure the temp and humidity inside the hide? A digital one with probes can provide more accurate readings.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Hmmm.... is the bottom of your humid hide open? Does the sphagnum moss sit right on the substrate? If so, then that would allow the substrate to draw moisture and heat from the hide. If the container is open on the bottom, find a way to close it off.

My only other suggestion is to keep a CHE on over the hide to help keep the temperature up inside it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes It reads 28c in there at the moment
28C in the hide is great. That is plenty warm. No need to change anything.

I would not use moss. They will likely eat it and it can cause an impaction. No need for it. Just dampen the substrate under the hide and it will be plenty humid.