Humid hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

Every morning, while Hermy is sleeping, I change his hide for a humid hide and every night, I change the humid hide the other one (The 2 hides are identical but one has a wet sponge in it) I do that because it is colder at night so I dont want him to be in the humidity while it is a bit cold. What do you guys do at night? Do you change your tort's hide or do you leave your tort in the humid hide?

And I am scared that Hermy will try to eat the sponge while I am not there? Does anyone of you have a tortoise who tried to eat the sponge in the humid hide?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, I have used a sponge and none of my Greeks have tried to eat it. I have also used sphagnum moss moistened. So if you are concerned about the sponge you can use the moss on the bottom. Hermy will just snuggle into it if he wants the moisture. I do not change hides in the night. I let mine decide what type of microclimate they want by providing them a dry and moist hide they pick the hide. I just keep the night temps above 60 so it does not get too cold. Hopefully others will respond with how they do it.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa, I have used a sponge and none of my Greeks have tried to eat it. I have also used sphagnum moss moistened. So if you are concerned about the sponge you can use the moss on the bottom. Hermy will just snuggle into it if he wants the moisture. I do not change hides in the night. I let mine decide what type of microclimate they want by providing them a dry and moist hide they pick the hide. I just keep the night temps above 60 so it does not get too cold. Hopefully others will respond with how they do it.

Thanks Robyn :D

The reason why I am worried is Hermy always goes in the same hide (on the carpet in the hot side near the lights). He just loves it (the others 2 are: one in the aspen in the middle and one on the carpet, it is like he does not even know they are there).
The moss is a good idea, I will try that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.