Enclosure Advice (Outdoor)

Kaylahhampton1

Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hey everyone!

I am the proud owner of an adult Hermann's named James. Currently he lives in a 5 x 2.5 x 1.5 wooden enclosure which I am aware is too small! I have been thoroughly researching but I have zero building experience and unfortunately some of the threads on here are so old the pictures are no longer hosting! I am one of the folks who bought a turtle at the pet store before discovering this forum (sigh). The last time I went ahead and had something made I came on here to learn it was also too small. Trying to get all your expert input and avoid that same mistake for my little guy's 3rd iteration. :)

I would like to keep the wooden enclosure I have and move it outside and create additional space for him there. I live in Arizona, are the summers too hot to keep him outside? My thinking was to create a 12x3x2 space, and to add a small door and stairs to the enclosure I currently have, essentially creating a "two story" enclosure where he can come out and have the additional outside space. Is this a good or bad idea? FYI, I'm working with a townhome backyard here!

IF this is a feasible idea, any pointers on starting from square one? My backyard is relatively flat but full of rocks. Trying to figure out how to even begin this project. https://www.wikihow.com/Build-an-Outdoor-Turtle-Enclosure Could I use these steps? I need this explained to me like I'm 5... lol

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
AZ is quite hot for. Hermanns. The enclosure will need lots of shade and a misting system.
Cinder blocks would work good and no building just lining them up and possibly stacking two high. If you make it oval shape with no corners he shouldn't be able to climb out.
Use the wood enclosure as another shade spot if you want.