Enclosure Advice

Bublitz497

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington Wisconsin
This is what I have so far for my Russian Tort. It is 4'x6' but I can not think of how to get it stay the right humidity and temp all the time day and night. Any suggestions is appreciated.20210609_172407.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is your tort?
Get rid of the red light it can make them eat things they shouldn't.
Russians can have night temps as low as 60. Most homes are not cold enough to need to heat the enclosure at night.
Use a ceramic heat emitter in place of the red light if added heat is needed.
To keep temps and humidity correct the entire enclosure needs to be enclosed. However if your tort is an adult, 30-50% humidity is all that's needed.
Checkout the caresheet in the Russian section.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Adding some plants (tort safe and chemical free) would help with humidity. Your tortoise will appreciate the extra hiding places and sight barriers too. I’d also recommend using reptibark (aka fir bark) on top of the coco coir. If you pour warm water on the coir, the humidity won’t escape as quickly with the bark on top of it. It’s tough to keep humidity up in an open topped enclosure unless you have it in a small room and can humidity and heat the whole room. Hopefully your tortoise is older and doesn’t require the high humidity that babies need, like @wellington was talking about.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
How old is your tort?
Get rid of the red light it can make them eat things they shouldn't.
Russians can have night temps as low as 60. Most homes are not cold enough to need to heat the enclosure at night.
Use a ceramic heat emitter in place of the red light if added heat is needed.
To keep temps and humidity correct the entire enclosure needs to be enclosed. However if your tort is an adult, 30-50% humidity is all that's needed.
Checkout the caresheet in the Russian section.
tort is in the left far side of the corner up top by the red light. He looks like a young adult possible.