Enclosure help.

Sarah Thompson

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Right now I have my 4 month old Red Foot in a tank but I am looking into getting a good sized storage bin for him. What I would like to know is if a 55 gal. storage bin would be too big for him right now? And if so, what size should I go with?

Also what would be the best kind of bedding for him? The reptile shop I got him from says that he's too small to use cypress mulch right now.

I have done a lot of research on bedding but each thing says to use different things for juvenile tortoises. I just really want to make the best home for him and could really use some help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you post a pic of the size of your tortoises? RF need high humdiity, so I would use coconut coir, but keep the top layer dry as they are more prone to shell rot. A member of the forums site will be of help to you also, it's tortoiselibrary.com check it out.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't think it would be too big. As long as you can keep the temperatures and humidity up in it. Just cut the holes in the lid just big enough for the lights and heat to shine through. I like coconut coir. Just pack it down with your hands so it is firm.

Sarah Thompson

Florida
Thank you!

I think I am going to go with cypress mulch and cover his hide and part of the enclosure with moss. I know there a lot of different types that are used but which do you guys prefer? is there a kind that is best for a Red Foot?