Enclosure Help

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Finally my supplies arrived after FedEx losing my package. My son and I set everything up and I'm already seeing need for some tweaking. Humidity has been steady at 83-93% but it's summer and very humid here. I will need to fully close this off in winter. What do you use to cut through plastic a box cutter was not cutting it no pun intended lol. Also, can electrical tape be used to protect the plastic from melting?
Second my bulbs temp directly underneath maxes at 93 degrees which is too hot for a red foot I hear. However, outside of my hot corner and in the humid hide is in the mid eighties, middle tank low eighties, cool side high seventies. I plan on figuring out a way to get the light a bit higher using ceiling hooks and a chain but how high is too high before UVB is compromised? When I build his temp home I'm going fluorescent and CHE all the way this MVB Powersun seems better suited for dessert species.
Third I bought a Zilla thermometer hydrometer but it's got long cords. How do you hide these? Is under the substrate ok with the probe on the surface ok? Unlike snakes I can't secure the probe to the bottom for under the Tank heat. Overhead heat is new for me.
Four I was thinking about placing a rock in the hot corner to keep s/he from basking there. Will this encourage climbing and possible flipping?
IMG_1910.JPG IMG_1911.JPG IMG_1912.JPG IMG_1913.JPG

daniellenc

Maryland
I moved the gauges outside for longevity and just found @Pearly post about the aluminum stuff from home depot. Once I figure out how to cut a hole in this crazy tough plastic I will use that to protect the plastic from melting. The enclosure stayed in the eighties except that one crazy corner. I found a rock too big to climb to block off the ultra hot corner. Once turning the lights off I sealed the top and have humidity at 99% which seems too high and temps at 83 which seems perfect. Like I said when I am ready for a permanent enclosure the lighting will change but would love to know how one cuts through thick plastic and if 99% is too humid for evenings..

theguy67

10 Year Member!
It seems like you got most of it figured out, at least for the next enclosure.

Cutting the lid will be difficult, but UVB has a hard time penetrating glass and plastics so you will need a hole. All I can suggest is a lighter and a metal knife you aren't too attached to. Heat it up and go slow. Wear work gloves if you have to, to avoid cutting yourself. Any sort of saw or other machine would probably crack the lid. If its soft enough, a simple exacto-knife might be sharp enough (without heat) if you cut it from the top, pressed against a hard surface. Just cut a small square out. Trying for a circular shape will be more difficult.

Redfoots don't really need a basking spot. The only time I've seen mine "bask" is when the weather was a bit cooler outside. I try to aim for an ambient temp of mid 80s throughout the enclosure. Try to keep it above 80, especially at night. High moisture/humidity with low temps can cause illness. A temperature gradient is used by some for redfoots, while others just aim for a consistent temp since they are more of a forest/brush species.

As far as wires, I'd just tape them in place. Tape the probe just above the surface of the substrate. I suppose you could bury the rest of the cord, but it may get in the way later.

Here's my enclosure > http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-nursery-room.155237/page-2#post-1496339 - It is still a work in progress.

daniellenc

Maryland
Yeah I may be regretting going with a plastic tub for the first year. I'd love to mount fluorescent lights for UVB and just use a CHE set to 84 at night but can't find a fire safe way to do so without major construction in a closed plastic chamber. During the day my room is pretty hot in the summer always in the high 70's and low eighties but because I bought the MVB BEFORE finding this site this is what I have for now. MVB may be good for our cold winters but summer it's a bit warm. I love your enclosure and can't wait until my plants take off and I can put them in my tank!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Maybe you can look for a cheap aquarium on craigslist. One with a screen lid. You could put foil where the light is, and plastic everywhere else. Although if the room is already warm, I wouldn't run a heating element without a thermostat.

Other members on here have used plastic tubs before. Try using the search function and see what they've done.

daniellenc

Maryland
I have been stalking enclosures for over a week so I'm guessing the super high humidity may be a result of a crappy hydrometer. I'm ordering a different one from Amazon and running both to be sure. This morning the Tank was 76 and humidity still 99. I opened it up and it didn't feel that humid but my temp gun confirmed the temps. I popped on the MVB and left it half open for the day misting both hides and the sides of the Tank. We'll see what it says after work.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
It sounds like your hydrometer isn't working well. 99 is most likely an error read. Remember to keep the probe dry/away from liquid water.

navycop2004

Oregon
Since this is enclosure help, figured i would as a question. I have an 8x4x4 PVC enclosure, its just sitting on the ground, should I have it up off the ground even a little bit or does it not mater?