Enclosure on Deck

tortgrl

Hi. I just adopted a Russian Tort. He has been in a small aquarium for the past five years. Poor thing! I would like to build him an outside enclosure to put on my deck. He would be able to get some good sun for at least half of the day. I have to make a top for it, as there are hawks and such in the area. I am going to make a wood box. My questions are:
1. What do I fill it with? Soil, bark, etc? And how deep do I fill it?
2. How do I prevent possible drowning if it should rain hard and I am not at home to bring him in? What do I do to my box to prevent this? I am in Southern CA, so it is kind of silly to ask, but we did just recently have some real rain.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
1st thing that comes to my mind atleast would be to raise it off the deck slightly (just enough that there is a bit of space under the base) and put a few drainage holes in the bottom (covered in a mesh to prevent the substrate from falling out) just one idea im sure someone will come along with a much better one lol

This is what we are planning to do with our outdoor enclosure. which will be a large kiddie pool with a lid

tortgrl

That sounds good...I thought about drainage holes, but didn't think about mesh. Is that something I get at Home Depot?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
yeah homedepot has a ton of different types too, maybe something with a little bit bigger holes then what is used for screen doors would work perfect. or even bigger if you dont mind hosing off under the enclosure.

another option would be smaller drainage holes (we have rats in the area I live in so i have to use a strong mesh on the underside of the pool aswell as the inside bottom to prevent them from any attempts and making the drainage holes bigger)