Deck Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Not sure if I should address this in the enclosure section or here. It's specific to sullys, so that's why I'm putting it here (for now).

We are throwing around ideas to better Ralph's outdoor enclosure. Currently he has a dogloo, we affixed a heat lamp inside. Substrate is timothy hay. On the door we have several strips of shower curtain liner. At night, I throw a heavy towel over the door as well, to keep more heat in. With the rain and colder weather right now (San Diego), we are keeping him indoors, but letting him outside to graze during the warmest parts of the day. If it's raining, we try to put him out in between downpours.

We are wanting to try a deck box, mainly because it's easier to get him out of and clean. Plus it somewhat gives us other options to keep him warm at night.

We aren't sure what or how to insulate it though. The dogloo comes insultated (and we throw a heavy blanket on top for extra measure, along with the towel on the door). We'd like to make this within the next month, so any and all ideas will be appreciated. If you have pictures, that would even be better.

Can we affix a heat lamp inside? Ralph is about 9 or so inches tall at the tallest and we don't want him to get burned. Plus, the obvious, we will need room for growth. Would you suggest a deck box or something a bit larger, like a small storage unit (the kind that are about 3 feet high, 2-3 feet deep, and about 3-4 feet long).

Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone posted some really great pictures a while back of how they converted a Rubbermain Deck Storage box into a tortoise house. I'm not sure, but I think it was Chipdog. He insulated it and made it tortoise safe. Posted pictures for us too. Maybe one of you out there in forum-land remembers the thread???

Yvonne

Here it is. Scroll down and you'll see how Chipdog converted the box to a tortoise house.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-4432.html

Yvonne

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Thanks!

I remember reading the link you posted. I just couldn't find it. That was what I was thinking of. Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.