Enclosure plan help

sjones28

Location (City and/or State)
Rochester NY
I'm currently planning an enclosure for my Hermanns tortoise Shelby i'm attaching the plan below. I plan on lining the entire interior with heavy duty tarp, haven't decided on substrate yet. do these dimensions look alright? id love to make it bigger but I live in an apartment so room is limited. also any suggestions on substrate/things i'm missing? i'm new to tortoise keeping and want to make sure i'm providing a comfortable home for my new bud. PS keep in mind that there will be about 6 inches of substrate so with 2ft walls there will be a 1.5 ft barrier around the outsidetortoise_enclosure.PNG

sjones28

Rochester NY
I'm currently planning an enclosure for my Hermanns tortoise Shelby i'm attaching the plan below. I plan on lining the entire interior with heavy duty tarp, haven't decided on substrate yet. do these dimensions look alright? id love to make it bigger but I live in an apartment so room is limited. also any suggestions on substrate/things i'm missing? i'm new to tortoise keeping and want to make sure i'm providing a comfortable home for my new bud. PS keep in mind that there will be about 6 inches of substrate so with 2ft walls there will be a 1.5 ft barrier around the outsideView attachment 278075
Also #17 is supposed to be tarp

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I love the diagram :D

How high up will the elevated section be? 2 feet? If the ramp is only 3 feet long it will likely be too steep, even with the rungs.

sjones28

Rochester NY
I love the diagram :D

How high up will the elevated section be? 2 feet? If the ramp is only 3 feet long it will likely be too steep, even with the rungs.

Yep, the raised section will be 2ft but distance from top of substrate to the bottom of the box will likely be less. I wasn’t sure for ramp length I’m considering just buying a 6 ft peice of wood and trimming it to the correct length I’d like it to be as long as it can be where is still room at the end for Shelby to climb on.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Yep, the raised section will be 2ft but distance from top of substrate to the bottom of the box will likely be less. I wasn’t sure for ramp length I’m considering just buying a 6 ft peice of wood and trimming it to the correct length I’d like it to be as long as it can be where is still room at the end for Shelby to climb on.

Yeah, trial and error might be the best way to get the ramp figured out. I've seen ramps for smaller tortoises that actually turn with the corner of the enclosure, so it's sort of a two part ramp. That might allow you to reduce the slope without running out of room.

sjones28

Rochester NY
Yeah, trial and error might be the best way to get the ramp figured out. I've seen ramps for smaller tortoises that actually turn with the corner of the enclosure, so it's sort of a two part ramp. That might allow you to reduce the slope without running out of room.

sjones28

Rochester NY

That’s a good idea, I’ll have to look into that I’d probably have to put a supper under the flat turn section