Enclosure size

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
I'm making the enclosure that Sterant posted about. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/

I can't get my hands on 4x8 sheets but I can get them 2x4. It will be more finesse but I can make it work. I tried to order them but it was cancelled again. I tried sign shops and just get a run around. Lowe's carries 2x4 so I'm going to make it work.

Here's my question. How long will one 4 foot closed enclosure get me with a leopard tortoise? It will be just a baby. Trying to figure out if I need to start right off the bat with an 8 foot enclosure?

I know in the long run the cost is the same but breaking up the cost on those boards might feel better on the pocket.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No a four by four will last 2 maybe 3 years. But when full grown, a 4x8 won't be big enough. It will need a room size enclosure as adults or around 3 to 4 years or so or live outside 24/7.
It also needs to be a closed chamber with high humidity from hatchling to about 3 years.

Megatron's Mom

No a four by four will last 2 maybe 3 years. But when full grown, a 4x8 won't be big enough. It will need a room size enclosure as adults or around 3 to 4 years or so or live outside 24/7.
It also needs to be a closed chamber with high humidity from hatchling to about 3 years.
Thank you. That is exactly what I needed to know. I will build an outdoor enclosure with plenty room. I just needed to know how fast I needed to move.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm making the enclosure that Sterant posted about. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/building-your-own-expanded-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/

I can't get my hands on 4x8 sheets but I can get them 2x4. It will be more finesse but I can make it work. I tried to order them but it was cancelled again. I tried sign shops and just get a run around. Lowe's carries 2x4 so I'm going to make it work.

Here's my question. How long will one 4 foot closed enclosure get me with a leopard tortoise? It will be just a baby. Trying to figure out if I need to start right off the bat with an 8 foot enclosure?

I know in the long run the cost is the same but breaking up the cost on those boards might feel better on the pocket.
A normally growing leopard tortoise baby will out grow a 2x4 foot enclosure in a few months. Maybe 6-8 months if its a slow growing regular leopard.

A South African will outgrow a 4x8 footer in 18-24 months in most cases.

Megatron's Mom

A normally growing leopard tortoise baby will out grow a 2x4 foot enclosure in a few months. Maybe 6-8 months if its a slow growing regular leopard.

Thanks, very good to know. I'll go as big as I can.

Megatron's Mom

Tom, would a South African Leopard be ready for outside full time at 18-24months?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Have you tried a plastics supplier instead of sign shops?

Megatron's Mom

Have you tried a plastics supplier instead of sign shops?
I did Google a few and the cost for them was nuts. Most had a minimum amount I needed to buy.
I have someone checking tomorrow if they would be able to order them for me through HD. If the price is right I'll go through them.