PVC Enclosure Bracing Questions

MarginatedMooney

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
I'll be working on Phil's new PVC enclosure this weekend (I'll start another thread about the build). My plan is based off of @Sterant 's design in his sticky thread (referenced below) but I'm planning on making it 6'x3'.

Since it's 6', will I need a center brace or braces to keep the top from sagging in? Would 1 brace placed in the center be enough or should I have several braces spaced evenly, like maybe 3 or 4? If I had 4, could the center still sag without one directly in the center? Also, how tall should the braces be? Maybe 2 inches? Or 3 inches?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are using 1/2 inch pvc sheets, then a single brace in the center should do it. I have several 8 foot AP enclosures and also one of the @Markw84 8 foot enclosures, and a single center brace work for them.

I will defer to the knowledge and experience of Mark and @Sterant

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom! Yes, I am using 1/2 inch pvc sheets.
There are center braces in the 8 foot and 6 foot enclosures, but not the 4 footers. I also made dividers out of white corrugated plastic, which can be seen in the pic, but you can see the braces here too.
IMG_5282.JPG

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would suggest a brace for sure in a 6 foot enclosure of 1/2" PVC. I would make the brace at least 3" wide 4" if that still looks OK to you. You want enough rigidity across 3ft and the 4" would give that.

I would still avoid stacking anything on top of the enclosure unless it comes all the way to the edges. The edges are where the strength is. An enclosure of the same size could easily be supported on top. Just don't put something with the weight bearing on the middle of the top.

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
I would suggest a brace for sure in a 6 foot enclosure of 1/2" PVC. I would make the brace at least 3" wide 4" if that still looks OK to you. You want enough rigidity across 3ft and the 4" would give that.

I would still avoid stacking anything on top of the enclosure unless it comes all the way to the edges. The edges are where the strength is. An enclosure of the same size could easily be supported on top. Just don't put something with the weight bearing on the middle of the top.
Alright, thanks Mark! I'll plan on putting a 4" center brace in then. I'm not planning on putting anything on top. I'll remember that though.