enclosure temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

5 Year Member
I am 11 years and i am building a tortoise cage with my dad. I have an Antakyan Greek tortoise and we are making him a cage that is 38 by 25 inches, also its1 foot tall, and we were wondering what temperatures he should be living in.thanks:)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I'm not really sure what temps your Greek should be kept @, but I think it's great that you and your dad are building an enclosure for him/her together. Tell the truth... YOU'RE doing MOST of the work aren't you??? ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cassidy:

I don't keep Greek tortoises and would hate to give you wrong info, so I'll stay out. But I wondered if you ever told us where you live?

Why don't you add your birthday on your user CP page so the Birthday fairy can send you a greeting on your special day. I was reading some of your first posts and am quite proud of you having been with us since you were just 9 years old.

Be sure to show us pictures of the habitat when its all built.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Welcome!
Is your name Cassidy? What area of the world do you live in (helps when giving tortoise advice).
Congratulations on planning ahead.
Here is a good link, scroll down to Greek tortoises and then go to the link provided.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1dWxgKHrh
You can use a bulb like a PowerSun 100w MVB (make sure the light fixture has a ceramic base) on one side to get the basking area up to 95F +/- 5 degrees. Hopefully the 'cool' other side will be about 70. You won't need night time heat unless you have a hatchling or if you have an adult, and your house gets below 60-65. A good thermometer (not those round ones) is a very good idea. You can get a 'digital' thermometer at many stores, it has a wire sensor that you can put in various spots to check the temp.
Make sure there is a water dish your tort can fit into. Might be a good idea to soak him daily for a few days then 2x per week or so.
Eventually, perhaps you can make a small secure outdoor enclosure in nice weather?

Cassidy

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Cassidy:

I don't keep Greek tortoises and would hate to give you wrong info, so I'll stay out. But I wondered if you ever told us where you live?

Why don't you add your birthday on your user CP page so the Birthday fairy can send you a greeting on your special day. I was reading some of your first posts and am quite proud of you having been with us since you were just 9 years old.

Be sure to show us pictures of the habitat when its all built.

I live in arizona.I am making him an indoor cage.And I will be sure to post a picture of his finished habitat but it will be a couple weeks until its all finished.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Cassidy,
I was told that you should never let the temp in your tort enclosure below 78 degrees. I have a thermostat in Wilbur's enclosure so I can keep an eye on the temp for him. I hope that helps:D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Cassidy. I live in Arizona too. I don't have a Greek tortoise so won't try to give you any advice. But, there are lots of people on this forum that do have Greeks and can help you with the specifics of their care. Great that you are working on this project together. :cool:

Cassidy

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Welcome!
Is your name Cassidy? What area of the world do you live in (helps when giving tortoise advice).
Congratulations on planning ahead.
Here is a good link, scroll down to Greek tortoises and then go to the link provided.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1dWxgKHrh
You can use a bulb like a PowerSun 100w MVB (make sure the light fixture has a ceramic base) on one side to get the basking area up to 95F +/- 5 degrees. Hopefully the 'cool' other side will be about 70. You won't need night time heat unless you have a hatchling or if you have an adult, and your house gets below 60-65. A good thermometer (not those round ones) is a very good idea. You can get a 'digital' thermometer at many stores, it has a wire sensor that you can put in various spots to check the temp.
Make sure there is a water dish your tort can fit into. Might be a good idea to soak him daily for a few days then 2x per week or so.
Eventually, perhaps you can make a small secure outdoor enclosure in nice weather?

i live in arizona and i am 11 years old.I found a heating pad at petsmart. it is supposed to go underneath his cage and it heats up a small are of his cage. would you recommend this.also why would i need to soak him daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.