Tortoise Size Enclosure!!!

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have a Hermanns tortoise that is almost a year old and for his birthday I am getting him a new enclosure! I am wondering about the size though, I am getting the cage custom built by pet and tortoise world online. The one that I am getting will be 120 cm long and 61cm wide which is roughly 4x2 feet. I am wondering if this is too big for the little guy since, right now, he is only about 2 inches long himself. If it is it will be easy enough to block off space and slowly increase it as he gets older. I am wondering though if the cage will be big enough for him when he is full grown or if I will have to get a bigger one? And if so about how big will he be able to get in the 4x2 cage comfortably until he needs a new one?

Kasia

Poland
I have a Hermanns tortoise that is almost a year old and for his birthday I am getting him a new enclosure! I am wondering about the size though, I am getting the cage custom built by pet and tortoise world online. The one that I am getting will be 120 cm long and 61cm wide which is roughly 4x2 feet. I am wondering if this is too big for the little guy since, right now, he is only about 2 inches long himself. If it is it will be easy enough to block off space and slowly increase it as he gets older. I am wondering though if the cage will be big enough for him when he is full grown or if I will have to get a bigger one? And if so about how big will he be able to get in the 4x2 cage comfortably until he needs a new one?
That is OK area for him now. For a full grown you will need at least 4 feet x 8 feet. I like your idea with blocking out part of the enclosure. I put mine on the attic because it's convenient. I have 2 torts and I give them each 2 m x 2 m indoor enclosure. One is full grown Russian and other is still small leopard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The size you are having built is the minimum size I would recommend for a baby. You will need something much bigger than that in a year or two.

It makes more sense to me to just go big now, and not have to rebuild. They grow so fast when they are babies.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I had about 100x300cm for my hatchlings. They didn't use the whole space at first but in their second year it was a good size for them.
So, bigger is always better. :)