Enclosure

Audrey27

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Ireland
iv just noticed some very tiny black flies in my tortoise enclosure does anyone have any ideas what these canbeand how are they getting inside plz .

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
They may be soil gnats, also known as fungus gnats. Or they may be fruit flies. What material are you using for the substrate? Soil gnats are commonly found in bagged soils purchased at garden centers. When the soil gets warm, like in a tortoise enclosure, the larvae in the soil hatch into little flies. If they are fruit flies they are most likely coming from outside the enclosure and are being attracted by food in the enclosure.

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
They may be soil gnats, also known as fungus gnats. Or they may be fruit flies. What material are you using for the substrate? Soil gnats are commonly found in bagged soils purchased at garden centers. When the soil gets warm, like in a tortoise enclosure, the larvae in the soil hatch into little flies. If they are fruit flies they are most likely coming from outside the enclosure and are being attracted by food in the enclosure.
I use coco coir and can u tell me if the would harm my tortoise.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
I get them, too. My advice is to do the best you can in cleaning up tiny unnoticed food scraps and tortoise poop. They're harmless to the animal. I often like to rotate the substrate as well, or replace it completely earlier than usual

jod

Birmingham
I have had these and I was told they eat the roots of plants. Ruffle the soil and Vacuum them while flying up. They don't harm but are very annoying in large groups. Keep vacuuming, move any plants into a different room. They eventually die off

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I use coco coir and can u tell me if the would harm my tortoise.

Coconut coir won't harm your tortoise. As long as it isn't allow to get too dry creating dust. Dust can create respiratory complications when inhaled by tortoise. It's best to keep the coir semi-moist. Coconut coir by itself doesn't pack well and tends to stick to a tortoise's mouth, nostrils and food at times. I don't think it's a good stand alone substrate material. I believe that a better substrate for young tortoises is organic potting or top soil maintained about 1.5- 2" deep and kept semi-moist. It packs well allowing for better footing and leg muscle development in young tortoises. But is still soft enough to enable a tortoise to burrow into it which young tortoises often do. A mix of about 25% coconut coir can be added to the soil to increase the moisture retention.
For larger tortoises cypress bark mulch works well. It does not retain moisture as well as soil based substrates but that isn't usually as critical with mature tortoises that are nearly or completely full grown to adult size. Mulch bases substrate can (and should) still be sprayed frequently to provide some moisture within the substrate. Adult size tortoises can easily burrow down into it.

For fly control I use the small index card size fly pads that are intended to be put in a window to trap flies. I mount it on the inside of an enclosure near the basking light source where flies tend to be attracted to.