Small gnats infestation.

Romeo Serback

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I've noticed that I have these little tiny gnats/flies in my enclosure. I'm going to change the substrate out, but was wondering how I could prevent this in the future. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The flies are detrivores - feasting on rotting vegetable matter and poop. They are completely harmless and an inevitability in the warm, humid environment essential for tortoise health.

Spot clean poop out of the enclosure as soon as you find it. Remove old food - don’t leave bits lying round for days.

Some people add a few pill bugs to the enclosure to help control the flies. (Look under rocks and wood to find then outside)

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
The flies are detrivores - feasting on rotting vegetable matter and poop. They are completely harmless and an inevitability in the warm, humid environment essential for tortoise health.

Spot clean poop out of the enclosure as soon as you find it. Remove old food - don’t leave bits lying round for days.

Some people add a few pill bugs to the enclosure to help control the flies. (Look under rocks and wood to find then outside)
That's a great idea! How would I go about obtaining these pill bugs? And thank you! Very helpful!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I’m glad I read this... I had to google “pill bug” but we call them Rollie pollies here and they are very common in my area.. I will be acquiring a few this afternoon!!!

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Thank you for the info again! I will definitely order those pill bug rollie pollies. I think that was a weird yellow cartoon when my sons were younger. Lol

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I was reading about springtails as well. Which is more beneficial? Springtails or pill bugs? And if I grow grass and weeds in there, will it eat it?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I think the springtails / gnats clean up after tortoise and the pill bugs keep the springtails under control. A tortoise enclosure ecosystem if you will:) I did in fact catch me some Rollie pollies this evening and put 4 in one enclosure and 5 in another..[emoji16] I am anxious to see how it affects the springtails population!

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I would like to see the results as well. Please keep me informed. Thank you! If it works well for you, I'll do the same. Mind you, I only changed her enclosure once in 3 months. I think I'll make it a monthly changing unless your plan works. And if that is successful, I'll fully change it once every two months!

JanelP

Idaho
I was having a problem with little gnats as well, and as I know they weren't harmful persay, they were rather irritating. I hung a fly strip up by my light and it seemed to control the number buzzing around. I only did this cause I started finding them buzzing in my kitchen, and around my live plants, fruits and veggies.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I figure that I'll make it a conscious effort to change the enclosure at least once every 2 months and I'll even buy pill bugs (aka roly polies, sow bugs, isipods) and by changing them, I'll control the pill bug population.