Enclosure

Kent B.

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
If I were to build an out door enclosure for my Russians tortoise that is 5x5 in shell length, and growing, would I need to cover the enclosure?
Also should I do like a 5x10 ft enclosure? Smaller or larger?

Kent

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, basically the bigger the enclosure can be the better. Torts are wandering creatures and love a lot of space, having said that he will still try to find his way out of it.:rolleyes:
If the tort is going to be out there unsupervised at any time I would say that a cover would be needed to protect it from any predators and even dogs that may be in the area.
Russians are also great climbers so a cover will help keep him in too.
I think they will burrow under barriers too so have a look at the Enclosures thread to see what others do to curtail that.

Kent B.

Mississippi
Hi, basically the bigger the enclosure can be the better. Torts are wandering creatures and love a lot of space, having said that he will still try to find his way out of it.:rolleyes:
If the tort is going to be out there unsupervised at any time I would say that a cover would be needed to protect it from any predators and even dogs that may be in the area.
Russians are also great climbers so a cover will help keep him in too.
I think they will burrow under barriers too so have a look at the Enclosures thread to see what others do to curtail that.

Yup! She climbs on EVERYTHING!!!!! I just went into the room with her enclosure and she was sitting on top of her log just chilling. Then she will dig anything and everything up. She loves biting herself. So much personality. (^∇^)
I probably won’t be doing an outdoor enclose anytime soon but was just curious... thank you!

Kent

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've not heard of a tort biting itself before, does she bite her legs?
Maybe she is shedding or has an irritation?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a group of Russian tortoises, and one of them is about 5x5 like yours. I've never covered my Russian enclosure.