Enclosure

Kaylahhampton1

Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hi all, my dad recently built this enclosure for my tortoise. He’s 5 inches long. He still likes to hang out in the corner... am I doing something wrong? Also, any general advice on my enclosure? I keep the warm side around 95-100 F, and the cool side at 80-15 F. I feed him once a day, a mixture of dandelions and collard greens.

Attachments

• DF326F1E-F4C1-4CE7-9B83-F0041A14CC0E.jpeg
    DF326F1E-F4C1-4CE7-9B83-F0041A14CC0E.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 9DE59EB2-A769-4046-8411-389C6090E09F.jpeg
    9DE59EB2-A769-4046-8411-389C6090E09F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • E03D50E7-CB93-4007-B03D-46091196055E.jpeg
    E03D50E7-CB93-4007-B03D-46091196055E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
How large is the enclosure? For the most part, it looks nice.

-right now you are measuring the temperatures at the top of the enclosure with inaccurate gauges. You need digital thermometers and hygrometers at tortoise level (the floor), and preferably a digital heat gun.

-I would switch the water bowl out for a terra cotta saucer. Shallow, textured, sloped, and easy to use.

-what kind of lighting are you using?

-definitely add a lot more variety to the diet. With tortoises, variety is key, and it’s best to feed a multitude of weeds and few grocer

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hi all, my dad recently built this enclosure for my tortoise. He’s 5 inches long. He still likes to hang out in the corner... am I doing something wrong? Also, any general advice on my enclosure? I keep the warm side around 95-100 F, and the cool side at 80-15 F. I feed him once a day, a mixture of dandelions and collard greens.
What kind of tortoise?

Kaylahhampton1

Peoria, Arizona
How large is the enclosure? For the most part, it looks nice.

-right now you are measuring the temperatures at the top of the enclosure with inaccurate gauges. You need digital thermometers and hygrometers at tortoise level (the floor), and preferably a digital heat gun.

-I would switch the water bowl out for a terra cotta saucer. Shallow, textured, sloped, and easy to use.

-what kind of lighting are you using?

-definitely add a lot more variety to the diet. With tortoises, variety is key, and it’s best to feed a multitude of weeds and few grocer

Its 18.5 inches tall, 60 inches in length, and 31 inches wide. Okay, I will make sure to get a digital thermometer and a terra cotta saucer, I want him to be comfortable. I’ll also look into getting some more variety into his diet.

The light is from the brand “Thrive” and it’s a reptile dome light.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Its 18.5 inches tall, 60 inches in length, and 31 inches wide. Okay, I will make sure to get a digital thermometer and a terra cotta saucer, I want him to be comfortable. I’ll also look into getting some more variety into his diet.

The light is from the brand “Thrive” and it’s a reptile dome light.
Keep in mind that this tortoise requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. Yours will work for now, but it’s too small long term.

I need to know about the bulb inside the fixture, not the fixture itself. Do you have UVB or let the tortoise outside in a secure outdoor enclosure a few times a week? Or neither?

as for decorations, you can never go wrong with more hides.

Kaylahhampton1

Peoria, Arizona
Keep in mind that this tortoise requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. Yours will work for now, but it’s too small long term.

I need to know about the bulb inside the fixture, not the fixture itself. Do you have UVB or let the tortoise outside in a secure outdoor enclosure a few times a week? Or neither?

as for decorations, you can never go wrong with more hides.

okay. I’ll keep in mind that I need a bigger one. Yes, it’s a UVB bulb.

Kaylahhampton1

Peoria, Arizona

I have the light in this kit... I don’t know if it’s a mercury vapor bulb but I was told it’s UVB and it’s for basking. I’m feeling information over load right now. I’m also thinking that the humidity is too low (stays around 50%) Any recommendations on thermometers, hygrometers, and which heat gun to get?

is there a thread on here where someone posts all the specific items they have in their indoor enclosure and where to buy them?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The reason he huddles in the corner may be because the enclosure is so wide open. He needs somewhere to hide so he doesn't feel so exposed.

Another hide would be great. Then you could put in a safe plant or two. Spider plants are good...just leave it in the pot so he can get under the leaves. Another is pothos. You certainly can use fake plants too. Keep a careful watch that he doesn't eat the plastic.

Kaylahhampton1

Peoria, Arizona
The reason he huddles in the corner may be because the enclosure is so wide open. He needs somewhere to hide so he doesn't feel so exposed.

Another hide would be great. Then you could put in a safe plant or two. Spider plants are good...just leave it in the pot so he can get under the leaves. Another is pothos. You certainly can use fake plants too. Keep a careful watch that he doesn't eat the plastic.

Got it, thank you. :)