Estivation?

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Hi,

Hoping to get some guidance or reassurance with one of my girls. Both of my Russians are outside full time during the spring/summer (separate enclosures) one is active, eating everyday etc. and the other appears to be wanting to estivate. I initially was concerned that there could be an underlying issue so I brought her indoors for a few days a couple weeks ago (really wanted to make sure she was able to eat and relieve herself) and her activity picked up so I took her back out. This has been going on for a few weeks, she will be up sitting in her doorway of her house waiting for food every morning, nibble a little then put herself to bed. Occasionally she will pop back out later in the afternoon but that hasn't happened much lately. Does this sound like estivation? I had them out last year and don't remember this happening, prior they were completely indoors year round. I started weighing her and she's dropped about 20 grams over the last few weeks but not losing rapidly and it seems to have leveled off. The weather here is hot and humid, Upper 80's -mid 90's, we are in the middle of a heat wave now with the index being up over 100. My thought is that if it is her trying to estivate then wouldn't the other likely be doing the same? Also is estivation more like a slowing down type thing, meaning some activity would continue? I am googling what I can and am hoping someone has experience with this. Thanks all!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I know Sulcata’s love heat, but I’ll tell you our Sully here in Maryland during this heat wave, is out of her outdoor shed a good 45 mins before sunrise. Walks about, eats, etc, then settles into a cool wet/damp spot for a good part of the rest of the day. Once the sun goes down, and things cool & i spray water about, she’s much more active and off to eat.

It has been really oppressively hot here on the East Coast. Feels like temps in the 110 range. I’m guessing our torts know when they should be active & when to rest. Its been a few years since it’s been this hot. Sounds like your Russian might be reacting to the high temps.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I know Sulcata’s love heat, but I’ll tell you our Sully here in Maryland during this heat wave, is out of her outdoor shed a good 45 mins before sunrise. Walks about, eats, etc, then settles into a cool wet/damp spot for a good part of the rest of the day. Once the sun goes down, and things cool & i spray water about, she’s much more active and off to eat.

It has been really oppressively hot here on the East Coast. Feels like temps in the 110 range. I’m guessing our torts know when they should be active & when to rest. Its been a few years since it’s been this hot. Sounds like your Russian might be reacting to the high temps.

Yeah I just worry because she was always my big eater and now she doesn't seem very interested in food at all. I'll give her a few days, worse comes to worse I'll bring her in for a week and see if her activity changes. Thanks!