"Europe is covered with '***'!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Living in Lake Worth, Florida for most of my life has meant that I have had the extreme pleasure of meeting many people from Finland. You see, Lake Worth and Lantana, Florida have been a major destination for Fins for decades. So growing up here and even attending a Lutheran School in my early years has made me quite used to the Finnish version of English. Today was one of those days though...
A couple of fairly elderly Fins who are good friends of mine were supposed to return to Finland for the summer yesterday. But upon seeing them today and inquiring as to why they were still here I got this very animated reply: She said..."We cannot go home now. ALL of Europe is covered--completely covered, in ***!"
Her husband, nodding in agreement, also chimmed in..."Oh yes, no one can fly to Europe now because of all the ***". Then she said...."Can you believe it? ALL OF NORTHERN EUROPE HAS ***!"
Of course, what they really meant was ash from the recent volcanic action in Iceland, but who was I to argue?
I simply smiled and nodded and then said, "I've been telling you guys that for years."
That went right over their heads, of course.
Hopefully soon they can return home safely.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
That is very funny. There is a viral email out there somewhere about English malapropisms in other countries...when I go to Italy, I am very hesitant to speak my "pidgin" Italian for fear of saying something silly or obscene by accident...

Even in England one can make those mistakes. Once I responded to the pub waitress who had asked me if I wanted more food, "No thank you, I am stuffed!" and she quickly and quietly cautioned me that that phrase means "I just had sex", so better to say "I'm full up" when referring to being sated with food. :rolleyes:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Bummer and I was goonna book a flight there. :(

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Stephanie Logan said:
Even in England one can make those mistakes. Once I responded to the pub waitress who had asked me if I wanted more food, "No thank you, I am stuffed!" and she quickly and quietly cautioned me that that phrase means "I just had sex", so better to say "I'm full up" when referring to being sated with food. :rolleyes:

hahaha oh my goodness...

S

stells

Steph... your waitress must have had a dirty mind... alot of us English people also say i'm stuffed... and mean exactly what you did...

One that does make me laugh though is fanny... you lot could get in big trouble over here with that one...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Kelly I just looked it up :p Isn't it strange how different words and phrases can have such a different meaning?!

Status
Not open for further replies.