HELLLPPP!! Torts covered in ticks

DeirdraL

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi! I recently have taken in three sulcata’s who are said to be around 4 year’s old. My issue right now with them is that they are COVERED in ticks. When I say covered I mean I’ve probably picked and killed around 30 ticks in the last 24 hours. I’ve been picking them off carefully between soaking. I’ve been non stop grabbing ticks that fall off in their enclosure. I’m going nuts! Does anyone have any kind of suggestions on how I can kill these ticks once and for all! Everything I’ve read says to just keep tweezing but this is nuts! I have many other animals on my property that I worry about. I do have the tortoise’s quarantined away but ticks will be ticks and I can’t stand the thought of these poor torts suffering33419B3F-637A-415B-A469-FE8CD6F1AF04.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow!
I would treat the ground with diatomaceous earth Food Grade.
It has to be food grade.
Some people even take it themselves so it's safe.
Treat the ground area and try to keep the torts off it for a few days to let it work and then I would spray it down just so the torts aren't eating a lot of it. As for the ones on the torts, I think you have to keep picking them off.
See what others say.
@Yvonne G
@Markw84
@Tom

DeirdraL

Florida
Wow!
I would treat the ground with diatomaceous earth Food Grade.
It has to be food grade.
Some people even take it themselves so it's safe.
Treat the ground area and try to keep the torts off it for a few days to let it work and then I would spray it down just so the torts aren't eating a lot of it. As for the ones on the torts, I think you have to keep picking them off.
See what others say.
@Yvonne G
@Markw84
@Tom
They are currently inside because I quarantine all new cowers :) thankfully they have not touched the yard and I caught the tick infestation the moment I saw them. That is why I took them. Yes I’m beyond stressed with the ticks but I figured the gentleman wasn’t taking care of the issue and I could NOT leave them knowing that.

DeirdraL

Florida
They are currently inside because I quarantine all new cowers :) thankfully they have not touched the yard and I caught the tick infestation the moment I saw them. That is why I took them. Yes I’m beyond stressed with the ticks but I figured the gentleman wasn’t taking care of the issue and I could NOT leave them knowing that.
Also I have been using Tom’s sulcata care guide as my go to!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So the ticks aren't from your/torts yard.
So the yard doesnt have to be treated then.
I don't know of anything to put on the torts, just keep picking them off and make sure they don't get on you or anyone else.
Good luck, hope you're end the end of them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know about ticks, but I wonder if you put the tortoises each in a tub of water where the tortoises can't touch the bottom, and, sitting there watching them for their safety, just allow them to float for a while - half hour or so? If the ticks would rather back out of the flesh than drown. Let us know how you get rid of them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know about ticks, but I wonder if you put the tortoises each in a tub of water where the tortoises can't touch the bottom, and, sitting there watching them for their safety, just allow them to float for a while - half hour or so? If the ticks would rather back out of the flesh than drown. Let us know how you get rid of them.

Thanks for that video. He did use what I mentioned, the diatomaceous earth. I guess there is no other way to get them off the torts then to pull them off.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Safety note: please do NOT pop ticks. They are full of whatever dangerous tick-borne bacteria/spirochetes/parasites are endemic where you live, and if blood splatters, you can get infected. Wash your hands carefully after handling. Drop whole ticks into a disposable jar containing a good volume of isopropyl alcohol.

I'm not a fan of grabbing ticks with pick-ups because that can cause a tick to regurgitate back into the host. We don't have a great number of studies about tick-borne infections in NA torts. That being said, everyone's better off with them removed when sighted, so: use your judgement, grab as near to the mouthparts as possible, and rest when your fingers get tired.

A good coating of olive oil (or similar) can be helpful and is non-harmful. It also flows easily into the leg crevices where you can't see/reach. It does make the job slippery for you, so keep a stack of paper towels nearby.

Use double-sided tape around the top of the quarantine enclosures so ticks get stuck trying to climb out to lay eggs (be careful that the tape cannot fall where tort skin will stick to it - not fun). Change out bedding daily and discard in a thoroughly sealed bag.

'Luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Safety note: please do NOT pop ticks. They are full of whatever dangerous tick-borne bacteria/spirochetes/parasites are endemic where you live, and if blood splatters, you can get infected. Wash your hands carefully after handling. Drop whole ticks into a disposable jar containing a good volume of isopropyl alcohol.

I'm not a fan of grabbing ticks with pick-ups because that can cause a tick to regurgitate back into the host. We don't have a great number of studies about tick-borne infections in NA torts. That being said, everyone's better off with them removed when sighted, so: use your judgement, grab as near to the mouthparts as possible, and rest when your fingers get tired.

A good coating of olive oil (or similar) can be helpful and is non-harmful. It also flows easily into the leg crevices where you can't see/reach. It does make the job slippery for you, so keep a stack of paper towels nearby.

Use double-sided tape around the top of the quarantine enclosures so ticks get stuck trying to climb out to lay eggs (be careful that the tape cannot fall where tort skin will stick to it - not fun). Change out bedding daily and discard in a thoroughly sealed bag.

'Luck!
What is the oil for? What does it do?
What are pick ups?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
What is the oil for? What does it do?
What are pick ups?
The oil will smother them - they need to breathe air while they feed. They detach on their own (or detach more easily). Blobs of petroleum jelly work as well, but torts tend to pull the legs in when manipulating them, so the oil flows where ticks like to hide.

The guy in the video was using large pick-ups (and then smashing the ticks open with them). Good video about the effort needed to find them! Just some dramatic presentation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The oil will smother them - they need to breathe air while they feed. They detach on their own (or detach more easily). Blobs of petroleum jelly work as well, but torts tend to pull the legs in when manipulating them, so the oil flows where ticks like to hide.

The guy in the video was using large pick-ups (and then smashing the ticks open with them). Good video about the effort needed to find them! Just some dramatic presentation.
Never heard them called pick ups. Forceps is what I know them as.
Vaseline would be less messy but agree the oil would get into places the tort won't let us get too.
Thanks for the ideas. Hope I never have to use them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

'Luck!
That's interesting. I was thinking the same thing about the olive oil or coconut oil but didn't want to say it. I've always heard it's a good home remedy for ear mites in dogs etc.?

jwr0201

Sarasota, FL
Heat up a needle and touch those lil sh*ts theyll release immediately. Just do it over a bucket of bleach
This works like magic. Same with wooden match that is immediately blown out. As noted, tick releases immediately. Using tweezers, you may get the body, but the head may be left and can burrow into the animal's skin. I did this with my dogs on the odd occasion they picked up a tick or two in the woods.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Can you get close up photos of top and bottom side of ticks? If you could get photos of small ones and big ones that would be really helpful for identification.

Definitely keep these torts confined in an area with no substrate. It is extremely important to not let any of these ticks escape. Ideally in a non-porous, readily cleanable area like a tub. Create a moat by setting the tub into a second pan of water. That way if any ticks drop off and escape they will get trapped in the water. Keep all other pets away from the area where the torts are currently housed. Carefully remove all visible ticks immediately and kill as suggested by placing into a jar of alcohol. Keep these ticks. Depending on the type of tick it may be very useful to have these specimens available. There is a tick that is a serious problem--the long horned tick--and authorities will want to know where the infestation is. Coating the torts with olive oil is a good idea to help with ticks that you can't see and remove. You'll have to do it daily in the hopes of smothering them.