Expected Recovery Time for RI??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
both enclosures.JPGcool side.JPGHot side of cage.JPGMy Redfoot, Jerry Lee, received his last Baytril injection this past Saturday for a RI. I have continued with the warm soaks twice a day, as well as his eye drops. The vet did say it takes tortoises a long time to recover-but how long is that? He has been eating still (although not as much as at first) but he spends the bulk of his time under the 100 watt Powersun sleeping. He is currently in a very large guniea pig cage until we get a temporary tort table this weekend (he will go into his outdoor enclosure when I know he is fully recovered). I covered half the cage in super duty plastic wrap, making a little makeshift green house. I put some live plants in it as well, so the "cool" side is holding humidity at 75-80 degrees. The temp under his favorite basking spot says its at 95. I includes pics to show what I am talking about..any ideas/suggestions/comments?

Last edited by a moderator:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Baytril should really be given orally than by injection. Causes muscle damage. Talk to your vet about switching to oral. Everything else looks pretty good.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
He may not have recovered fully because he isn't warm enough, and that's why he's spending all his time under the light.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
theelectraco said:
He may not have recovered fully because he isn't warm enough, and that's why he's spending all his time under the light.

Is there something I can do for that?

deadheadvet said:
Baytril should really be given orally than by injection. Causes muscle damage. Talk to your vet about switching to oral. Everything else looks pretty good.

Another learning experience on the Baytril :) He is all done with his treatment at the vet, but trust me-if I have to go back it will be orally done and if that vet wont, I will find one that will.

Again, so much thanks to everyone-you have no idea what peace of mind you guys bring to us newbies!!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The only way to trap heat and humidity in what you have is to cover it which may not be possible. Once you get it into a closed chamber table it will be much easier. Do you have what your temps are? Ambient, basking, cool, night. What are you using to get your temps? You could add a CHE of your temps are low. What are you using for night time heat?

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
theelectraco said:
The only way to trap heat and humidity in what you have is to cover it which may not be possible. Once you get it into a closed chamber table it will be much easier. Do you have what your temps are? Ambient, basking, cool, night. What are you using to get your temps? You could add a CHE of your temps are low. What are you using for night time heat?

I have the plastic wrap and plexi glass covered with a towel over the humid end-which seems to stay between 70-80% humidity. The hot side with the Powersun stays right about 95-100 degrees. To be honest I have not gotten a night time heater as I live in Texas and it is rarely cold-we maintain a temp of 74 at night (I am always cold so we sleep toasty) lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.