Experience owners advice needed (Shell?)

LozTuz

Location (City and/or State)
England
hi all I've had my tortoise now for about 6 months, I'm going to refer to it as him although I am able I won't know for sure for many years... I was told it was 6 months when I got him but I'm not sure that's right.
He only weighed 27g when I got him and now weighs 37g does anyone have any advice on possible age?

my main concern though is his shell. i have read so many posts on poor upkeep causing it I'm scared I'm doing something wrong.
he eats well and is nice and active in the day.but does his shell look ok?
he is a Russian tortoise.

Attachments

• tempImageCjKM1F.png
    tempImageCjKM1F.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • tempImagevStpta.png
    tempImagevStpta.png
    12.9 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi all I've had my tortoise now for about 6 months, I'm going to refer to it as him although I am able I won't know for sure for many years... I was told it was 6 months when I got him but I'm not sure that's right.
He only weighed 27g when I got him and now weighs 37g does anyone have any advice on possible age?

my main concern though is his shell. i have read so many posts on poor upkeep causing it I'm scared I'm doing something wrong.
he eats well and is nice and active in the day.but does his shell look ok?
he is a Russian tortoise.
The only way to know thee age is to know the hatch date. They all grow at different rates and for a wide variety of reasons.

The shell looks okay. You have some minor pyramiding due to growth in conditions that are too dry. If you correct this issue, the new growth can start to come in smoother.

Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the end. Be sure your are using the correct bulbs, the right substrate, and the right type of enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think what you are concerned about is what looks to be uneven growth. First of all, he's pyramiding, and that can be remedied by giving him a more humid environment. The new growth areas are quite large (the plain yellow in between the scutes). This means he's growing a lot and fast. You may be feeding him too much. Russian tortoises in the wild have a very short time after hibernation until he has to hibernate again, and to that end, when they are not hibernating (brumating) they have to eat as much as they can find. Their whole life is eating, eating, eating to prepare for brumation. In your care he doesn't NEED to eat all the time, but he's hardwired to do so. Put his food in different locations all over his enclosure, making him walk around looking for food, and maybe don't feed him quite as much. The appearance of his shell is nothing to worry about. He's growing and looks pretty darned good.

LozTuz

England
can i ask what humidity and temps you both believe are good conditions for him to live in.

today his enclosure was 27.5c warm side with 44% humidity and 22.5 cool side.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
can i ask what humidity and temps you both believe are good conditions for him to live in.

today his enclosure was 27.5c warm side with 44% humidity and 22.5 cool side.
Hello! Ambient temperatures should be 25-28C (and 21-23C at night). Basking spot should be closer to 35C. Humidity 50-60%, humid hide with humidity closer to 80-90% would be nice as well.