Eye color

Celestenicole

Location (City and/or State)
Ky
Are male box turtles born with the red eye color? Or does it take time to change colors? My baby turtle was born in october 2018 and has a white/cream eye color.
Also, I know the plastron of males have a slight concave area. Are they born with there plastrons like that or does it concave with time?

Last edited:

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
My male has Brown eyes. the best way to tell the gender of an adult turtle is the underside of the tail.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
My female ornate has red eyes and concave plastron, not always accurate unfortunately.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
only speaking on eastern box turtles I've seen and had .........… all those traits develop with age …. I have seen quite a few females with red eyes , but I've never seen a female with those glowing ruby red eyes I've seen in some males , I would guess it's hormonal , as there are times of the year when they are brighter than other times , and the older more dominant males tend to be noticeably brighter …….. and I've seen young adult males with very little concavity to their plastron , never seen a female with a concave plastron ………...

I seen this guy quite a few years ago , I never picked him up , but I would have bet my house against $100 he was a he ………

Aviary-Photo-131707311385816453.jpg

here's a couple of mine male and female

Aviary-Photo-131525632205327784.jpg

another male

Aviary-Photo-131960941051612544.jpg

a male
Aviary-Photo-131712255334905738.jpg

female

Aviary-Photo-131960948622438682.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are male box turtles born with the red eye color? Or does it take time to change colors? My baby turtle was born in october 2018 and has a white/cream eye color.
Also, I know the plastron of males have a slight concave area. Are they born with there plastrons like that or does it concave with time?
Most babies all look the same when they hatch. Over time, and as they mature, the characteristics change. The males with red eyes tend to have even redder eyes as they get ready for breeding. But some females have red eyes too, so this isn't a good qualifier. Like Coleen said, the best way to tell male from female is by the cloaca placement on the tail.