Fecel test

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Yesterday evening my female Star pooped and so today I took it down to the vet to the fecel test. No parasites, worms whatsoever but the vet said it could also be because the feces is not fresh. I told the vet that even if it’s not fresh, the worm eggs should still show, it cant just disappear. I would like to hear what the rest have to say here.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I used to do fecal tests when I worked for 2 different vet offices in the early 80's.
You are absolutely correct. The test is to look for eggs, not actual adult parasites, and the eggs will still be present and visible in older, dried feces.

samstar

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
I used to do fecal tests when I worked for 2 different vet offices in the early 80's.
You are absolutely correct. The test is to look for eggs, not actual adult parasites, and the eggs will still be present and visible in older, dried feces.

Thanks for clearing my doubts, even a reputable breeder said the same. The vet sometimes talk s**t.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
but sometimes can't a fecal test miss one parasite load?

samstar

5 Year Member
I wrote in to Marcus Langford and this is what he replied:

"Yes the eggs would be there and visible."
MARCUS

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes a fecal test can miss it because parasites will be dormant for awhile and then come back. Please get a re-test in three months, and then yearly after that. I had different parasites show up on the first test (which were then treated) than the test 3 or 4 months later. Parasite loads also increase and decrease, so if the numbers are low one time around one sample they put under the microscope won't pick them up (they do not look at every molecule of poop you drop off, only a very small sample which they then "float"). From what that vet said alone I would begin to question their capabilities, and if anything else seemed amiss I'd want to find another place. There is some technique needed to do the test right.

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Yes a fecal test can miss it because parasites will be dormant for awhile and then come back. Please get a re-test in three months, and then yearly after that. I had different parasites show up on the first test (which were then treated) than the test 3 or 4 months later. Parasite loads also increase and decrease, so if the numbers are low one time around one sample they put under the microscope won't pick them up (they do not look at every molecule of poop you drop off, only a very small sample which they then "float"). From what that vet said alone I would begin to question their capabilities, and if anything else seemed amiss I'd want to find another place. There is some technique needed to do the test right.
Thanks, I will do a test soon to make sure in a months time. Yes I did doubt them which is why I posted here.

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I think three months or later would be better than a month.

ok, I'll do a test in 3 months time, thanks. Curious, isn't 3 months a bit to long to wait or does it take that long to show up?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
samstar said:
Yesterday evening my female Star pooped and so today I took it down to the vet to the fecel test. No parasites, worms whatsoever but the vet said it could also be because the feces is not fresh. I told the vet that even if it’s not fresh, the worm eggs should still show, it cant just disappear. I would like to hear what the rest have to say here.

What the vet might have meant is that the sample was too hard or dried out. After you pick up a stool sample, you need to place it in a baggie with a moist paper towel and seal it tight so that it doesn't dry out.

samstar

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
samstar said:

What the vet might have meant is that the sample was too hard or dried out. After you pick up a stool sample, you need to place it in a baggie with a moist paper towel and seal it tight so that it doesn't dry out.

and that's what exactly I did. I spoke with another vet from the same clinic and he too agreed with us. He also said that he will have a word with the vet which I spoke with.

Status
Not open for further replies.