Panacur

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Did a feces test and the results came back today:
Torty has worm eggs and tomorrow I take him down to have him weighed at the vet and the vet will prescribe Panacur. How effective is it when given it proper dosage?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
It is very effective. Sometimes it can take several doses spread weeks apart. Follow the direction of your vet. Good luck.

S

stells

Sometimes it does fail... depends on the type of worm... i've known this happen to some people but it just means a different wormer has to be used then all is ok... more than one treatment will be needed with the panacur....

samstar

5 Year Member
Thanks, your replies sure does add the comfort feeling

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
It is very effective. Unless the tortoise gets re-contaminated (ingests its poop with worms in it), it would be rare for it not to work. Be sure you follow the medication instructions, keep the tortoise away from its poop, and wash the cage furnishings and change the substrate. It is normal for the tortoise to slow down a bit and even not want to eat as it is quite harsh on their tummy. Best wishes.

samstar

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies friends. Tomorrow I start on it's first dose which is 0.2cc of Panacur followed in 2 weeks the same dose. On the 3rd week I will check it's poop again with the vet. He is now about 88 grams and 2.8 inch in length. Is this the recomended dosage usually? Basically two dosages, one tomorrow and the other in 2 weeks time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The dosage is so many ml's of Panacur to however many ml's your tortoise weighs...so we don't know if that's the correct dosage or not. I'm sure your vet has done the math correctly.

samstar

5 Year Member
Today I spread the panacur on a lettuce leave and fed it, it ate it all. Will repeat again in two weeks time and than take feces sample to vet in three weeks from today. Hope all goes well. Yesterday the vet showed me how the worm eggs looked like under microscope, it was oval in shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.