Feeding dish

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Hello can anyone recommend anything good for my tort to eat of i used to use a large peace of slate but that became a messy situation and when food is even got a little bit of dirt on my tort wont eat it so i opted for a terracotta dish dug down in her substate and this stops her dragging coco coir onto her food but i noticed shes been pushing the food out the way and trying to eat the dish at the bottom 😂 im not sure why i clean it out daily and wash it but everytjme i put her food down she goes for the dish ( shes had this terracotta dish for over 3 months and no issues before until now ) ( shes a 9 month old hermann )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep using the dish she wants to eat. It will help keep her beak filed and I would think eventually she will realize she's not getting anything and will eat the food. You can try spritzing the food with some water which will make it harder for her to just push out of the way as it will stick more to the dish.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The terra cotta dish is the way to go. I wouldn't worry about the behavior you are seeing. There is no reward for the effort, so the behavior should self-extinguish in time.

You could try swapping to a new terra cotta saucer. I like to have extras of the same size in case I break one, or in one becomes soiled. I can quickly replace the dirty one with a clean one, and then clean the dirty one at my leisure, letting it sun dry.