Feeding outdoors

Pawciorc

Location (City and/or State)
Malta
My 4 small Cyraneicas have been staying in their outdoor (roof) enclosure for a couple days and nights now. I have sowed for them T-Lady seed mix, besides they have a nice plantain, filaree, perennial wall rocket, mallow. And they seem not to graze on the plants and rely on food served by me. Even if it is the same plantain from their enclosure. Should I stop feeding them to encourage more natural behaviour?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I also served my tortoises some food for 2 days because the weather was bad. On the third day they spent the whole day inside their cold frame waiting for food... They are just spoiled. :rolleyes:
In my opinion it's better for them to gather food on their own. They get exercise and I think they know by instinct which weeds they need for a balanced diet.

Pawciorc

Malta
But when I serve food they eat like crazy!!! I see some bites on stationary plants but it is definitely not the amounts those 4 tiny gourmands can imbibe :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
All the above is right :D
If you stop serving them food outdoors, they'll start eating and finding their own food, which is healthier for them. Not to mention that if your yard is well planted (sounds like it is!) they have their own personal silver platter just waiting to munched on :)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I don't think it's healthy to eat like crazy, neither for humans nor for tortoises... ;)

Pawciorc

Malta
So far it is not a yard. Just a 1,2/1,2 meter square with soil and plants inside located on my roof/terrace. It seems not too spacious, but for four 5cm guys it is more than enough space with plenty of green, a small pool, hideouts and shadow on demand. Ok, so lets see how they do without daddy's services :D

Pawciorc

Malta
Update 2. They still seem not to enjoy wild style of eating. They are very picky, walk around the enclosure and bite here or there really small amounts. And what is the most frustrating for me, they dont like weeds I planted for them from T-lady seed mix. Also what seems wierd is that it looks like mainly 1 plant of the seed mixIMG_20150426_114441.jpg is growing. Below pic of the T-lady seed mix harvest. Does it look tasty? :)