Feeding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Hey Everyone! After setting up sheldon in a new enclosure, hes has been ravaging for food all day, he eats all i put out and still wants more food after that! Ive had him for almost a year now and he has never done this. Should i feed him more? :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hard for us to really say. We have no idea how much you already gave him or what you gave him. I have a leopard. I always make sure I give him enough food so he has a little left over. Then if he wants too much on a snack later, it's there. Now, my leopard is only almost two. He's never been a piglet. He also has live plants he can eat should he want. If you think you have given him enough food, that he shouldn't be hungry, then don't give him anymore until tomorrow's feeding. If you think you might have not giving him his normal then give him a little more.

towelie200

5 Year Member
I have a zoo med food dish, its about 4 inches by 4 inches, and i fill it pretty well. I give a variety of kale, radicchio, leafy greens, and the occasional hibiscus flower. I may give him more tomorrow and see if he eats more than what i put out for him.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I noticed that on the days when I put the thick stems from the collards or kale in for Eloise to much on she is less hungry after she is done but then she always leaves herself a leaf for later... So I am sure to place a stem in every day and she digs in and finds the stems first and starts with those....it's kind of funny watching her dig through the stack of leaves for that juicy stem!! ha ha

ssha_miami

5 Year Member
I read some articles talking about feeding tort. All of them suggest not to feed too much. One important reason is the speed of growing shell is much slower than growing muscular. Feed too much will lead to fat. To meat inside the shell will pressure their organs, cause many healthy problem even death.

Status
Not open for further replies.