Too little food?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
My Russian tortoise Sheldon gets spring mix every day, he eats all of it and doesn’t leave a thing, should I feed him more?

I feed my Russian first thing in the morning as soon as he wakes and I always make sure the food dish has food in All day until he burrows back down. If he eats it all, I refill it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And yes, if he eats it all increase the amount. Tortoises graze throughout the day. This should be allowed in captivity too. If he has a proper size enclosure, minimum 4x8 foot for an adult, temps etc he won't get over weight.

Urbanmonkey

Derby uk
Over feeding can lead to overgrowth and pyramiding. In the wild tortoise find food with alot less nutritional value then supermarket brought foods. which is why they have such a long digestive system to get as much out as possible. I suggest you weigh the Tortoise and then find out how much food is needed.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Over feeding can lead to overgrowth and pyramiding. In the wild tortoise find food with alot less nutritional value then supermarket brought foods. which is why they have such a long digestive system to get as much out as possible. I suggest you weigh the Tortoise and then find out how much food is needed.

The overfeeding myth has been largely debunked by recent field studies conducted by various high profile tortoise keepers. Many tortoises keepers in this site alone have been able to successfully replicate these results and prevent pyramiding by raising the humidity levels of young tortoises during the first 2-3 years of their lives.

Tortoises are experts at controlling their bodily functions as long as they're housed in favorable conditions.