Spring Mix Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu

5 Year Member
Spring Mix is the only diet for my Russians, is this a bad thing? They LOVE it and gobble it up every day! I don't feed fruits. I tried a Russian Tortoise food that you add a little water to but they starved themselves for a few days so I went back to Spring Mix (organic). Any suggestions?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Work on adding other plants to their diet, especially things like weeds. Spring mix has some lacking areas, one of the biggest to me is it is made up of high moisture low fibrous greens. If you can't harvest weeds in your area or be growing plants yourself, try a simple thing of each week or so, adding to the shopping cart just one bunch of greens on days other then when you pick up the Spring mix. Maybe turnip greens this week, collards next week, ect..,

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Did you just try the tortoise food alone or was it mixed with the spring mix?

If you feed it alone, just moisten a couple pieces and mix it with the spring mix and see if they will unknowingly eat it with the spring mix.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Spring/herb mix is a good base...also each week maybe buy a bunch of kale...mustard greens or some other type of dark leafy green to add to you spring/herb mix...and then the next weeks also add a different type of dark leafy green to your base mix....then in the warmer months make sure to let your tort have outside grazing and sun time to help balance his dietary needs out...in my opinion :D

Vishnu

5 Year Member
dmarcus, I did both actually and it was a "no go" on both on ideas. My Russians out smart me all the time. Thanks, ascott I will try Mustard greens tonight and see what happens. You never know they may enjoy is MORE than the spring mix. Thanks for the advice!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lol....remember...spring mix is a good base so what ever additional dark leafy green you decide to add can be cut up and mixed right in with the spring mix...also after cutting and mixing you can lightly spritz the pile with water as that makes it a touch harder for them to pick out their favs...the water kinda makes it stick to itself a bit better....the little buggers can seem to suddenly sprout fingers and pick through the pile....also..I have read some folks have spritzed a new food offering with a touch of fruit juice to encourage the tortoise to eat the new offerings...while I have not tried this yet (because I have little piggies that so far eat all offered..lol) but certainly would if I needed to aid in a picky eater....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.