Spinach

Tortilla tortoise

Hi first time posting. I have had my Russian tortoise for 3 years now and she refuses to eat pellets only fresh food, which is fine but I feel it's hard to provide a well mixed diet. I also read that spinach was bad, toxic even. I bring this up because I recently bought spring mix which has spinach included and was recommended on a forum as a feed with variety... Like spring mix was a good choice. I would love some recommendations on what food from the grocery store is appropriate, since she refuses the pets store pellets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Spinach is not toxic per say. That just shouldn't have a lot of it. I feed spinach about 2-3 times a month but it's what comes in the spring mix, not a pile of it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Double Oops! Me too.
Welcome to the Forum, sorry i have no knowledge of store bought greens as they only do lettuce or lambs lettuce (rarely) here.

Tortilla tortoise

Thanks for the warm welcome. My avatar shows my little tortilla's new home I just finished building last week. She is in heaven!!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it is not toxic at all. The problem with spinach as it has calcium binders with prevent the absorption of calcium for your tortoise. I know that some people feel it sparingly but I just avoid it completely lots of other good food out there

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi first time posting. I have had my Russian tortoise for 3 years now and she refuses to eat pellets only fresh food, which is fine but I feel it's hard to provide a well mixed diet. I also read that spinach was bad, toxic even. I bring this up because I recently bought spring mix which has spinach included and was recommended on a forum as a feed with variety... Like spring mix was a good choice. I would love some recommendations on what food from the grocery store is appropriate, since she refuses the pets store pellets.
A little spinach in spring mix will do no harm.

I suggest you write a list of all the greens that you can buy in your grocery stores and those that grow around you and then spend an hour looking them up on The Tortoise Table (TTT) Plant Database for suitability.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

The ones in your stores are bound to be different to mine. Also check out asian or ethnic grocers and markets if you have them as there will be different things there.

Remember that variety is variety over time and not in one day, or even in one week. If you buy spring mix one week, use it up (you can eat it as well as your tort) and then buy something different next time.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a list of suitable greens

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles