Feeding winter uk.

Hi guys anyone from the uk have some suggestions for feed during the winter I want to mix it up a little he's got some herbi-life tort feed, some fresh grown leaves, but what he's been getting during the summer on my walks just arnt there any more.
Any advise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not in uk but I have the same problems in winter where I am. Grocery greens cactus pads hay tortoise Mazuri food or I think you have Komodo in the uk that's a pellet food.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
When the weeds die off I use a variety of bagged salads for my leopard such as Aldi crispy salad mix (I pick out the iceberg) and their mild leaf salad, Florette Classic Crispy Salad, Sainsbury's mixed leaf salad and Tesco mixed leaf salad. I avoid feeding iceberg and little gem. Also add in some kale, romaine, spring greens, pak choi, just try to give as much variety as I can. I soak them all in cold water for a while to hydrate them before I feed.
Lola won't eat grass so I finely grind up some Readigrass in a blender and sprinkle it over the wet leaves and then spray with water to make it stick. I don't know if Hermanns are grass eaters so you may not need to do that. I have tried to grow my own weeds for winter from seeds but I don't have green fingers so not had much success.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods and what shop bought salad leaves are ok in moderation etc.

Last edited: