Female and Male comparison

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I was just thinking that a permanent sticky thread of a male and a female leopard at the top of this section, with details on how to tell, might be a really handy tool for owners looking to sex their shell babies

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I agree, that would be awesome! There is something like that in the Russian tortoise section of the forum, but I know that in leos it's a bit different. Still, in general, fat short tail = female... longer pointy tail = male. I think in Leos the anal scutes of the plastron have different shapes, too.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Agreed. Maybe someone with some adults of each sex will put a thread together. Hopefully, they imbed the photos instead of attachments ;)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I've taken plastron shots of my torts every few months in hopes that once they are adults I can make a post showing the progression of anal scutes and tail size/length.

But I agree it would be a good basic thread

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've taken plastron shots of my torts every few months in hopes that once they are adults I can make a post showing the progression of anal scutes and tail size/length.

But I agree it would be a good basic thread

I've been doing similar.
And I think a sticky of adult plastrons is an genius idea. :)

Elohi(Earth)

JayandLeo

The second photo is my leopard that pasted away last year. He was a boy for sure. I know there are other ways to tell but this can be helpful. My new leopard I believe is a girl it looks like a U not a V

JayandLeo

Sorry one more thing. It can be very hard to tell as babies. It can almost look like a combination of a V and U. They need to grow awhile to be sure!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Sorry one more thing. It can be very hard to tell as babies. It can almost look like a combination of a V and U. They need to grow awhile to be sure!
Thanks for posting such great reference pictures and a bit of a described for folks JayandLeo!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Does that help ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
Totally helpful. I think this is an excellent thread for Newbs like me in terms of trying to figure out our shell baby's genders. Hopefully others will find it useful.