Female bullying Male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doowah14

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clemson, SC
This is a curiosity question for the forum. I currently have 3 Russians, two male and one female. One male constantly tries to mate with the female, so I separated those two to avoid injury to the female. The second male hardly pays any attention to the female, so we let them "live together" for a while. After a couple weeks we noticed that the male had two small injuries in each "armpit", which look an awful lot like the are bite marks from our female. I know males are supposed to be territorial, and they often nip at females as part of courtship, but has anyone experienced a female bullying a male before?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I can't say that I've ever seen a female bite a male, mount yes, bite no. Be fairly hard to bite the armpit of another tortoise anyway. Bites are usually to the front of the front legs and the feet or tail.
Can you post pictures of the injury?

Danny

doowah14

5 Year Member
Clemson, SC
egyptiandan said:
I can't say that I've ever seen a female bite a male, mount yes, bite no. Be fairly hard to bite the armpit of another tortoise anyway. Bites are usually to the front of the front legs and the feet or tail.
Can you post pictures of the injury?

Danny

The injury happened a while ago, and unfortunitly i did not take any pictures :(

We were trying to breed the two, because the male is a real dark color that we like and want in offspring, but I don't want to risk it getting hurt anymore if they are not going to mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.