Female paradalis pardalis just laid eggs. Is this early?

tallin

5 Year Member
I have a female leopard tortoise (pardalis pardalis) that just laid at least 6 eggs. She just turned 5 in May. I know that is her age because I've had her since she was around a month old and have kept a chart of her shell length and her weight going back to June of 2019. She does live with a male pardalis pardalis that will turn 6 in December. I'm having a hard time finding if these could be fertile because of her age. I'm guessing it's possible since she is laying them and does live with our male who I know is active, but in my searches people don't often list ages or they are several years older than just 5 years. I did find one for one this age with 14 eggs, but she had never been introduced to a male. This age just seemed quite young.

Basically, can somebody let me know if there is a chance these eggs from a 5-year-old leopard tortoise could be viable when the mother is so young and if it is normal to see eggs from a leopard tortoise this young? We didn't dig them up completely yet, but we did want to verify that there were eggs. She dug two test holes that she did not fill in before digging this hole, which she did fill in.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20240612_201201.jpg
    20240612_201201.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have a female leopard tortoise (pardalis pardalis) that just laid at least 6 eggs. She just turned 5 in May. I know that is her age because I've had her since she was around a month old and have kept a chart of her shell length and her weight going back to June of 2019. She does live with a male pardalis pardalis that will turn 6 in December. I'm having a hard time finding if these could be fertile because of her age. I'm guessing it's possible since she is laying them and does live with our male who I know is active, but in my searches people don't often list ages or they are several years older than just 5 years. I did find one for one this age with 14 eggs, but she had never been introduced to a male. This age just seemed quite young.

Basically, can somebody let me know if there is a chance these eggs from a 5-year-old leopard tortoise could be viable when the mother is so young and if it is normal to see eggs from a leopard tortoise this young? We didn't dig them up completely yet, but we did want to verify that there were eggs. She dug two test holes that she did not fill in before digging this hole, which she did fill in.

Thanks for your help.
It is a little bit early, but if she dug test holes and then made a finished nest, chances are good that they are fertile.

Do you know about diapause for this species? South African leopard eggs will not hatch without a cooling period first.

Check this out:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you also know that tortoises should not be kept in pairs. Your female is living under constant stress if she is the only female having to live with a male that will try to breed her to death, besides the stress. Bad combo!

Reactions: Tom