Female RES nesting box

Tucker46

Location (City and/or State)
California
My 3yo RES lay an egg in her tank. She is not kept with other turtles and I’ve had her since she was a tiny hatchling. Over the last several weeks she has been more restless and consuming extra calcium (cuttlebone) and food but this really caught me off guard. After the egg was passed I built her a nesting box which I’ve put her in for short periods of 1-2 hrs several times a day. I’ve also given her supervised time in the yard to root around in the garden but nothing yet. QUESTION: If she is active eating and basking how long can I give nature to take its course and when will she need to see a vet. As I missed the early signs I worry about her becoming egg bound. I would prefer to spare her the stress of a Vet visit and oxytocin injections if it can be avoided. Any advice??

Techyrn808

Kapaa, HI
I have same issues. Worried about her being egg bound and not sure if eggs are viable or not. Made an incubator and transferred eggs into it. Every day see lays about two more eggs, but in her pond. We fish them out gently and do not turn them. I still see and can feel eggs just behind her thighs and before her tail. I put her in a screened enclosure on the grass for hours at a time, but nothing. A little uprooting of grass but nothing as nifty as your dug.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keep her warmer than usual. When you put her into the nest area position a light over the area so she can get her body temperature up to 85F degrees or so.