Female sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayday29150

5 Year Member
Looking for a female sulcata. I have a male 12 sulcata have had since he was hatchling looking to add another. Have a house in South Carolina on two acres plenty of room to roam. Please let me know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He will harass her to death. You are better off with just one. If you intend to breed you will need at least two or three large adult females, and you will still need to have a back up plan to separate them if he gets too rough or relentless with them.

I'm all for having lots of tortoises, but its not as easy as just adding another one and having a pair. Since you have lots of room, are separate enclosures an option. If she has her own space most of the time, they will both be better off.

mayday29150

5 Year Member
Divided areas yes. Already have different areas for my reds and yellows from my sulcata. Just feel bad. 5 reds 5 yellows 1 sulcata. So he is always alone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh, you are good to go then. Once he spends time with a female, it might change him. Have you seen how male dogs get when a female goes into heat? It's kind of like that, but all the time. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to warn you of potential things to come. Sulcatas are much more agressive about their breeding than red or yellow foots. I guess what I'm saying is, don't get a female for him. He doesn't need it and he'll be happier without it. Get one if YOU want one, and just be aware of the potential pitfalls.

Big females are very hard to come by. You might try a rescue and assure them that you will be keeping them separate. Most rescues do not approve of sulcata breeding and they won't let you have one if they think you are going to breed it. The rescues from the north need people like you who have property in warmer climates. Try Julie at Long Island Turtle and Tortoise Rescue.

mayday29150

5 Year Member
No looking to breed them just was told two males would not get alone at all and would fight. I have applied with Long Island tortoise recuse and charleston tortoise recuse no look so far. Would much more prefer to Rescues . All of my 11 tortoise were rescues 3 of my red foots were in shoe boxes at a flea market being sold as pets or possible FOOD

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Two adult males will likely fight. That is true. But a male will also likely harass a single female relentlessly. To the point where she will get no rest or peace. The long term stress will not be good. And if you put a male and female together, you WILL be breeding. They are very prolific.

Status
Not open for further replies.