Few questions about my tortoise’s shell and species

Butterfly_Pea

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Hello, i hope you are all doing well

I was gifted this tortoise few days ago and I have noticed a small crack on the shell.
I’ve read here that it could be a result of dehydration. If this is the case then is soaking the little guy every morning would solve this? I rubbed his shell with a little bit of olive oil, is it safe?

Also is he a Greek?

IMG_0618.jpeg

IMG_0616.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks to me like his rear end is dryer looking than the rest of him and I'm thinking he got too close to a heat source and it dried him out there.
Getting proper bulbs and their placement and temps and humidity and yes soaking him will help.
Compressed coconut oil is recommended for placing on shell. Run it in and wipe away access.

Butterfly_Pea

Earth
Looks to me like his rear end is dryer looking than the rest of him and I'm thinking he got too close to a heat source and it dried him out there.
Getting proper bulbs and their placement and temps and humidity and yes soaking him will help.
Compressed coconut oil is recommended for placing on shell. Run it in and wipe away access.
Thank you!

I’m not sure if his previous owners placed him in an in-door enclosure. i decided to put him in my garden with the rest of my tortoises and he seems fairly comfortable. He eats his meals and he is active during the day.
I will start using coconut oil instead!

Thank you again and have a lovely day/night!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Would not use an oil on him if he will be outside. The oil will attract bugs
He should not be with your other tortoise until a quarantine period of at least 3 months, 6 months is better.
How old/big are your other tortoises and how many? Species should not be mixed and young ones should not be with adults until they are close to same size. Also two males should not be housed together and tortoises should not be housed in pairs.

Butterfly_Pea

Earth
He has his own place and the other two tortoises can’t get to him. They are hostile and they already hate each other. That’s why i gave each tortoise its own place.

IMG_0624.jpeg
this is the only female i have, not sure how old she is, she was gifted to me by a family member five years ago.
IMG_0625.jpeg

I bought this one three years ago and it was a big mistake because back then I didn’t know that tortoises are solitary animals. He is the biggest delinquent among the three tortoises.

Im not sure if he is also a greek, because he has different patterns on his shell

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Keep up the soaks in warm shallow water in a high sided container for around 30 mins to get it hydrated. Have a second container ready to switch over to as water can get fowled and cold. Enjoy your new charge. The new ones pigment is coming through and it will get black scutes over time all look nice. I suggest cross checking set up diet, water substrate, hides, shade cover etc... for all.

Butterfly_Pea

Earth
Keep up the soaks in warm shallow water in a high sided container for around 30 mins to get it hydrated. Have a second container ready to switch over to as water can get fowled and cold. Enjoy your new charge. The new ones pigment is coming through and it will get black scutes over time all look nice. I suggest cross checking set up diet, water substrate, hides, shade cover etc... for all.
Thank you for the feedback!

I thought his color would remain the same as he grow older, i was happy to see that he is gold, but i guess not 😅