Finally assembeled new larger enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Dimas, CA
Its been sitting on the patio for months. Went out with my granson today and set it up. It still needs a few more parts. But it was hot and I got tired. I will try and finish it tommrow. The old enclosure is still inside the new one. Im useing it to grow thier food in. This way they cant get to it till its ready. You can see where the house used to sit in the pic, the dead grass area. What do you think. The torts seem very happy now.
005-47.jpg

004-42.jpg

001-62.jpg

007-32.jpg

006-33.jpg

This is some food thats already grown ,they can get to it when I let them out. The ca desert tort can get to it anytime since he roams free.
008-27.jpg

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
ascott said:
Awesome....and love the tunnel to their house...:D

Me to. I loved the little tunnel & house. Was it expensive? Or completely self built?

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
The only money spent so far was for the wood stain. The wood is all throw away stuff from different jobs that I have been on. The tunnel is from pipe left over on a school built next door. The roofing was left over from my shed. All the screws came from dissassembling the crates at work. I do need to go buy some more of that green screen , as Ive run out. My son purchased what Ive used so far, but ended up not useing it. So far cost has been kept ver low. So I guess its self built?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I like it a lot. The tunnel is an ingenius idea. I also like your idea of using the little enclosure for a planter. I think I will do that too to grow weeds when I no longer have any little ones.

Are you going to cover the entire top? Wondering about doing something similar in the future, but those lids can get pretty heavy to remove. Have any ideas?

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
Yes, Im gonna cover the whole top. I have plenty of wood frames, Actually enough to build another. I ran out of netting yesterday. Ill get more today. The tops are a little heavy. I can lift each section my self though. But Im thinking of installing grab handles on the section ends so two people can quickly and easily move them around.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The tunnel piping is also handy for underground structural support for man made burrows....it is a nice heavy grade pipe....just throwing it out there :D

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
Yes, Ive given that some thought. I have some sections setting behind the garage. Havent come up with a clear plan yet though.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
I may have missed it but what species will be living in there? And I love how you got the spot to grow food inside and the tunnel to the house! Great work!

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
There are 4 young sulcatas in there. They are visable in the pics. The food is growing in thier old yard. So they actually got a pretty big upgrade.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I really really like this. Your Grandson seems to be enjoying it as well. What a great idea. I have been looking at ways to keep my tortoises outside 24/7, but until now the idea had escaped me. Now I have some new found hope that your idea might just work for me in some way. That tunnel and house I think might just do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.