Jacky And Daisy

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Good afternoon everyone!

We are on our way home but on the way here we accidentally got off a stop too early and ended admiring the station at Chafford Hundred. At the event we heard a talk and met an Aldabra, a couple of Horsefields and a Hermanns Tortoise. They advised against Romaine Lettuce and the Spring Greens my lunch but Natrah can make her own mind up she also declined the health check because I am seeing my regular vet next week on the 11th September!

Jacky

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good afternoon everyone!

We are on our way home but on the way here we accidentally got off a stop too early and ended admiring the station at Chafford Hundred. At the event we heard a talk and met an Aldabra, a couple of Horsefields and a Hermanns Tortoise. They advised against Romaine Lettuce and the Spring Greens my lunch but Natrah can make her own mind up she also declined the health check because I am seeing my regular vet next week on the 11th September!

Jacky
I hope the meeting was interesting - I get the feeling that Natrah wasn't entirely impressed by the advice given - what was the talk about ? Did you get a good look at the Aldabra tortoise, Jacky? There are some lovely photos of Aldabras on Aldabraman's thread.
I had a walk along the breakwater this afternoon, and I really enjoyed it, as I always do. I bet you would like it too, Jacky, but I think you might find it harder than I do, because of the uneven-ness of the ground - you are bigger than me, and might have trouble getting round between the rocks - though I know you are a good climber, of course.
Goodnight to you and Natrah and Angel Daisy, and to all my forum friends from Zola xxxxxxxx
and Angie xxxxxxxx

MaNaAk

Southend
I hope the meeting was interesting - I get the feeling that Natrah wasn't entirely impressed by the advice given - what was the talk about ? Did you get a good look at the Aldabra tortoise, Jacky? There are some lovely photos of Aldabras on Aldabraman's thread.
I had a walk along the breakwater this afternoon, and I really enjoyed it, as I always do. I bet you would like it too, Jacky, but I think you might find it harder than I do, because of the uneven-ness of the ground - you are bigger than me, and might have trouble getting round between the rocks - though I know you are a good climber, of course.
Goodnight to you and Natrah and Angel Daisy, and to all my forum friends from Zola xxxxxxxx
and Angie xxxxxxxx
Good evening Zola and Angie,

The talk was really tortoise care and food. The people were very nice and friendly and one lady gave us a lift back to the station. Several people called Jacky White Algerian Spur-thighed and said that her species were becoming rarer. I looked up White Algerian Spur-thighed and she is still Greek Spur-thighed. I put some food in Jacky's pet-carrier incase she needed a nibble but of course some people said that greens and Romaine Lettuce aren't good for them but that's why I give her a varied diet🤣! Personally I didn't like the way that the speaker was holding the Hermann's Tortoise as an example and I was afraid that she could drop him. I'm sure that your parents don't handle you like that even if they could only pick you up with one hand Zola. Yes Jacky probably got to see more of the Aldabra than the Horsefields because he was in an enclosure rather than a carrier. I also realise that Jacky was the eldest tortoise there and I probably have more experience of tortoises than some of the others. They say that I should Jacky more weeds but in terms of wild food she is only interested in dandelions and grass. One lady thought that Jacky's legs looked puffed up and they were doing health checks there but I prefer her to see her usual vet who is very impressed with her. Other than this they seemed to be excited to see an 88 year old Spur-thighed Tortoise!

I'm glad you got your walk Zola it's been cold here but Jacky did eat it a bit which was good.

Goodnight everyone

Natrah, Jacky and Angel Daisy

MoggyMad

Northamptonshire
Natrah I hope Jacky is ok after her long day out. Yes in an ideal world she would eat more of the weeds that are best for her but at her age it will be difficult to change what she likes now. Dickie is the same. She likes Romaine lettuce but is very fussy about other foods I’ve tried her with. I’m not good at identifying weeds, she doesn’t seem to eat any in our garden. She used to eat clover in the lawn at the other house but we don’t have it in our garden.
When we first moved her here I sent off for some weed food for her but she didn't eat any of it. Neither would she eat the opuntia or the special grass I also ordered so I’m afraid we are just having to stick to the things she will eat, when she is eating that is. Nothing today again but she did come out herself about 11am.
Sometimes those events you went to can give rise to anxiety/doubts. Reading advise on hibernation & the vet saying about how important it is to maintain the same temperature is causing me some anxiety as this is not something I have any experience of. Pete is just doing the same things that Dickie has been used to when she was living at his dads house but he has agreed we should get a thermometer to keep a check on the temperature as she will be in a different hibernation place this time.
I confess I don’t find any of this easy.

Goodnight Jacky you’ll sleep well tonight!

MaNaAk

Southend
Natrah I hope Jacky is ok after her long day out. Yes in an ideal world she would eat more of the weeds that are best for her but at her age it will be difficult to change what she likes now. Dickie is the same. She likes Romaine lettuce but is very fussy about other foods I’ve tried her with. I’m not good at identifying weeds, she doesn’t seem to eat any in our garden. She used to eat clover in the lawn at the other house but we don’t have it in our garden.
When we first moved her here I sent off for some weed food for her but she didn't eat any of it. Neither would she eat the opuntia or the special grass I also ordered so I’m afraid we are just having to stick to the things she will eat, when she is eating that is. Nothing today again but she did come out herself about 11am.
Sometimes those events you went to can give rise to anxiety/doubts. Reading advise on hibernation & the vet saying about how important it is to maintain the same temperature is causing me some anxiety as this is not something I have any experience of. Pete is just doing the same things that Dickie has been used to when she was living at his dads house but he has agreed we should get a thermometer to keep a check on the temperature as she will be in a different hibernation place this time.
I confess I don’t find any of this easy.

Goodnight Jacky you’ll sleep well tonight!
Yes we were all given free food and told how to prepare it. One Xmas my friend bought a present for Jacky and Daisy I gave Daisy her present because she wasn't hibernating and it was ignored! I gave Jacky her present had to break it up so that she got a taste and the same thing happened!

@zolasmum and @The_Four_Toed_Edward one lovely lady was in tears when we spoke about Daisy.

Natrah