finally finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
this is how my finished product came out. though i am not sure if there is enough heat in her enclosure, nor light. should i get another heat lamp?

enclosure 3.jpg
enclosure 4.jpg
enclosure 5.jpg

i think i plan on getting a tube light, so the light goes throughout the enlcosure, but what would you guys suggest?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
i prefer mercury vapor bulbs over a heat lamp and a tube light. MV's are two lights in one....heat and UVB.

i really like your enclosure, it looks great.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i worked super hard on it taking all the tips ive gotten over time into consideration :)
the mercury vapor bulbs...would i find those at like a petstore, and would i be able to use the same domes?
also, whats the difference between them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is VERY eye-appealing and pleasing to look at. I love the way your "wall paper" matches the Croten plant.

Your tortoise should be very happy in there. Good job!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It's very nice. I would suggust a long tube 5.0 UVB on one side and a heat emitter on the side where the hide is.. At night you could turn off the tube light and keep the heat emitter on 24/7. It's a Redfoot...right? I keep a lot of soaked and squeezed out long fiber moss in the hide so he has to dig his way in. This way it's warm and humid in there. Just a suggestion....your enclosure is very nice.

chadk

10 Year Member!
What are your temps? You need to know the hot basking spot, cool area, and warm area. Humidity would be good to measure as well.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I agree with Terry if it's a Redfoot Tortoise they don't need all of that light all of the time. Your enclosure is very nice I was looking for a picture of him in there but there wasn't any, do you have some? If you need more heat just lower the heat emitter down a little. :) He does need a cool side. I find Dale a lot of the time on the cooler side in the morning time, but Ruby and Eddie are always on the warm side. I think this is because they are babies. :)

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Now I have my facts mixed up. I thought the mercury bulbs were bad for tort's eyes. Which bulb is bad for them?

Your enclosure looks great, btw!

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
she is a red foot. and today it got really hot in there, 89 degrees when i got home(now) although i seem to be having trouble with the humidity it was at around fifty when i got home. how could i raise that? also i dont have a lid for her enclosure..do i need one?

and what kind of moss would be good for inside her hide? right now i have an exo terra forest moss (tropical terrarium substrate) would this work forr inside her hide?

and here is a recent photo of Ophelia from last week in the garden
ophelia.jpg

also, your saying i could turn off the light at night time? i have a night time light for her in her enclosure...should i not have that on??

Last edited by a moderator:

khanvict

5 Year Member
pretty tortoise and enclosure. you did a wonderful job i think. you have a small hide at the top (or back & center i guess near the temperature gauge) and am wondering what that is 'cause i've been wanting to put a tiny bowl-shaped-burrow-type like that in mine but don't know quite what to use.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
She is a beautiful Redfoot. If you have a heat emitter then at night you could shut off the light. I keep my heat emitter on 24/7, but shut the light off at night.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
well i just dont want it to get TOO hot. its around 74ish in her enclosure now, my room is really warm, and i didnt want it to get too warm in there. so im unsure what to do.

khanvict, whati used was alittle bridge from petsmart that Ophelia can aslo climb under. i did have the back filled up with dirt, but..she decided to move that :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Very nice. I am working on something simular, so I have a couple questions. What do you have on the walls? How did you attach the lights? How big is it?

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
this was an old dresser of mine, so id say double the size of her 40 gallon tank ( or larger). and i used heavy picnic tableclothes on the sides and one just for the bottom. and i bought the light stands at petco or petsmart

Status
Not open for further replies.