Finally got a tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swim2298

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
After a long time of researching, I decided to purchase an adult male russian tortoise. I named him Leonardo, after the blue teenage mutant ninja turtle.

I'm hoping the pictures of his new home uploaded. He's in a 57 gal rubbermaid tub with coconut coir substrate. I'm gonna go out this weekend and get him some new stuff to make his home nicer. Please give me suggestions on what I should get!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    783 KB · Views: 58
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    676.1 KB · Views: 45

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
welcome and congratulations on the russian

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome....I would say get him plenty of places to hide....will you be in the position to get him out in the natural sunlight some? He is very handsome... :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You could try indoor plants like a spider plant, pothos vine. Russians are bulldozers, so try putting it in a sturdy pot and submerging it in the substrate. You could also get a pot hangar and hang it over the edge of the rubbermaid. You can also use fake plants, Michael's is a very good source. Mine ignore them, but like hiding under them.
Also, try burying your white hide more; more dirt inside and around it. They do like to burrow a bit.
Make sure there is a shallow dish with water in case he wants to drink or bath, which they rarely do, but need the option.
Welcome! He looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.