Finally took a pic of Abby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Syros, Greece
I don't take many pics of her for w/e reason. So I decided to take an eating one. I couldn't take a pic with her mouth open though...

The hide she dug herself. I had made her one which was basically a hole covered with a wood plate but two years ago she decided it wasn't enough and dug in the back of that (opposite of the entrance) and now she has a large cave for herself. Now that the weather gets hotter I push the food directly to the mouth of the cave so she can eat in shade.

Attachments

• Abby.JPG
    Abby.JPG
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 130

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Cool pic ! Reminds me of golem in lord of the rings for some reason, my precious foods!

:p

PapS

5 Year Member
Syros, Greece
ScottishFish said:
Cool pic ! Reminds me of golem in lord of the rings for some reason, my precious foods!

:p

Heh didn't notice that until you pointed it out. LOL!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Lovely picture. I'd love to see more of her enclosure, especially around the cave.

PapS

5 Year Member
Syros, Greece
Well, since you asked for them here is the area around the cave and the entire enclosure. Note that the enclosure doesn't seem interesting enough to me so I will remodel it.

Attachments

• Cave.JPG
    Cave.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • Enclosure.JPG
    Enclosure.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 50

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
PapS said:
Well, since you asked for them here is the area around the cave and the entire enclosure. Note that the enclosure doesn't seem interesting enough to me so I will remodel it.

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to make such hide. All those grasses, must be like a jungle for her :D

PapS

5 Year Member
Syros, Greece
Yellow Turtle said:
Thanks for sharing. I'd love to make such hide. All those grasses, must be like a jungle for her :D

She camouflages very well in them too. Sometimes it takes a while before I locate her right under my nose. Hide wasn't too difficult, all you need is a digging tool (like a small shovel), some wood plates to cover the hole and a tortoise with a digging fixation. Just make a sloping hole with a steep end opposite of the slope, cover it with wood plates and let the tortoise dig the behind if he/she wants.

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
Wow, she's a beauty! and your habitat is amazing! I'd love to build something like that for my Darwin in the future!! :)

PapS

5 Year Member
Syros, Greece
Dar said:
Wow, she's a beauty! and your habitat is amazing! I'd love to build something like that for my Darwin in the future!! :)

Thank you! But I can't take any credit for the habitat, it was originally built to plant veggies for human consumption. After it was built we discovered that no veggie can grow when it's bombarded by strong, salty winds. So I just put Abby there and let the indigenous weeds take over. With some very minor alterations (eg hide) it became a good tortoise habitat!

Status
Not open for further replies.